Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Putting a finish on "Ebonol"

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by zeronyne, May 20, 2005.

1. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Hello, all.

I just bought a fretless (KSD) that has a lined ebonol board. I really want to put a super hard, super glossy finish on it, but I am afraid it won't play nicely with the man-made material.

Any input would be appreciated.

2. There's nothing that you could safely put on that fingerboard that I'm aware of that will chemically bond with that material. Like wise, there probably isn't anything harder than the ebonol itself. So, my advice would be to experiment with using some polishing compound and bringing the gloss up on the raw surface of the ebonol. This stuff will polish nicely and when you get it as bright as you want, you can wax it to help keep it that way.

3. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Thanks much, Hambone! Any recommendation for polish?

4. First you'll have to use a polishing compound with a light abrasive like Turtle Wax polishing compound. It's white and will buff up a great shine. Work it with a soft cloth or even a machine buffer and you'll get great results. Then an automotive PASTE wax - not a dry powdery wax will work well.