1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Putting a G&L L2000 MFD pickup in a Squier Tele Bass... could it work?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Campbell, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Dave Campbell

Dave Campbell

Jul 13, 2006
    Just scored a Squier VM Tele Bass (with the mudbucker), it's on the way.
    Never know, I may just end up liking the tone from the stock pickup.

A few years back I had a project bass in mind... a Warmoth/Allparts Tele Bass build, routed for a mudbucker, but instead of a mudbucker maybe going for an L2000 MFD pickup. That project never happened, but the same idea has stuck with me.

The bass had been upgraded with a series/parallel switch. That could come in handy.
    I asked the seller if he thought the swap out could work, but he felt the string spacing could be an issue, as the MFD's pole pieces are meant for an installation in the middle placement.
    I took a piece of paper and a pencil and scribbled over the pickup of my '84 G&L L2000 - like you can do with a coin... the details of the polepieces show up. Then moved the paper up towards the neck, and yes sure enough the E and G strings are inside dead center of the polepieces. Since my G&L and the Tele bass share the same nut width (1 5/8), I have to assume that the string width at the bridge are close as well, and that measurements of each at the end of the fretboard are close enough to each other, within reason.

The Squier Tele bass had been upgraded with a Badass bridge, which I may actually sell, and am considering one of the newer Fender high mass bridges... this way I can once again take advantage of the string-thru option... PLUS the bridge saddles are slotted for multiple positions, so I'm guessing that as far as orientation, it could actually work.

Now for you electronics whizzes out there... electronically and sonically could the MFD work in the mudbucker position? Not sure how the impedance of each pickup compares, wondering about tone caps/capacitors. Also the G&L basses utilize three knobs instead of two for the humbucker MFDs... volume/treble roll off/treble roll off.
    Obviously a Darkstar is the logical next option in this kind of instrument.

Have been a G&L player for many years, really like the pickups.
    Can't help but wonder...