1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

putting a high c on 5 string..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pierreganseman, Sep 15, 2008.

1. pierreganseman

pierreganseman

Aug 23, 2008
    Brussels
    hey guys, the tittle says it all. I'm wondering about putting a high C on my 5 string alembic. am i gonna need to adjust anything with the truss rods?? and the general set up??

I know the nut might need to be changed but might not as well... since it might just "fit" even if strrings are smaller..

I've just never treied... and don't wanna make the neck go wild... :)

cheers let me know
    :hyper:

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

You can string it E-C.

It might need a new nut, and a slight tweak.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Chances are you won't have to change the nut since you're going smaller overall. The rod may need a tweak.

4. superiorpine

superiorpine Superiorpine Gold Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    I have done it with several five strings. Have never needed a new nut. May need a bit of a setup; minor truss rod and intonation tweeks. I have been pleased both with the results and how easy it has been. It may be more of a challenge to find the C string than anything else.

5. MarcusPocus

MarcusPocus

Aug 28, 2008
    Allen, Tx
    La Bella Makes a 5 str set that is with a High C. The Gauge is 105-29.

They are the Hard Rockin' Steel Round Wound

Check it out http://www.juststrings.com/lab-m45-c.html

I think the relief in the neck will probably need to be adjusted as the tension will change. With the neck setup for the higher tension it may pull the new set of strings closer to the fretboard causing some unwanted buzz, especially below the fifth fret.

6. I think its a very bad idea! You should be playing bass not fooling around with a high C!

7. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I've have one of my MTD's EADGC and didn't have to do anything to the nut. Just a slight Neck/Intonation adjustment. The MTD has the BFTS so I had to do the intonation for that. I've been using some GHS Bass Boomers. They come EADGC

http://www.juststrings.com/ghs-5m-c-dyb.html

8. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    [​IMG]

9. Ok, i see that people really took my previous post really badly!
    It wasnt serious, the guy who posted the thread is my brother, we are both bass players i just wrote that as a joke ok! I play 6 string bass, i know a high C is a great thing!
    Cant believe im getting a warning from a mod and people getting so angry for a stupid joke!

10. pierreganseman

pierreganseman

Aug 23, 2008
    Brussels
    It's true guys... Just relax.. he is my bro... just relax.. LOOL
    :smug:

11. LOL, smilies.....use them!

12. I did it and think it is the best thing I ever did with a 5 string. I tweaked the truss, the just nut II, and intonation. It plays betther than it did at low b.

I am currently using Elixir 4set light .045-100 w/ an Elixir 6th string medium .032. I went larger/higher tension string on the high C as it is very thin and very easy to bend and pop.