1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

putting a left handed neck on a right handed body

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by goolimari, Aug 15, 2007.

1. goolimari

goolimari

Jun 19, 2007
    I dont know if this amounts to a stupid question, but can i put a left handed neck on a right handed body (all other things remaining the same, i.e both parts will be coming from basses of the same model type. )

-Regards

Arvind..

2. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    It won't be quite the same. The string tree would be holding down the two lowest strings, and the nut will have to be reversed, or more likely, an entirely new nut made, in order to have the low E on top.

The headstock and string tree being reversed might make it sound a little different, not sure.

Plus, is an E string really long enough to go to what was the G tuner, and get plenty of wrap on the string post?

3. goolimari

goolimari

Jun 19, 2007
    hmmm..good question..hadnt thought about that..maybe not worth it..

4. Wootsticks

Wootsticks

Jul 26, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Or you could just get a new set of strings instead of using the same ones.

5. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    All the above posts are correct, except if its an asymettrical (sp) neck. Im not sure how common this is but i know some necks arent the same upside down and rightside up. Ive done that with guitars before just to look cool. Ive heard other people doing it to increase the pull on the lower guage strings accross the nut but ive also heard people debunk that myth.