1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Putting a lefty neck on a right bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hemmerlinj, Jul 1, 2014.

1. hemmerlinj

hemmerlinj

Sep 21, 2012
    Astoria, NY
    Not sure if I should post this in this section, but anyway.

I have an early 90's Squier that when I was teenager thought I could turn into a fretless. While I somewhat successful I now want to put a fretted neck back on it. I was thinking of getting a Mighty Mite neck and maybe throwing a lefty neck on it for the backwards look. Any problems I would expect other than the nut? Or is this just a bad idea and won't really properly work?

Cheers.

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    It'll work. I've seen guys do it. As long as the new neck fits the pocket. There may be some adjusting there.
    If it comes with the nut installed, you will need to switch it around.
    Some necks come without one. Get one installed properly and you'll have a cool lookin' bass.

HardNHeavy, Nino Valenti and Sartori like this.
  3. MikeWfromNJ

MikeWfromNJ

Jan 5, 2010
    Central NJ
    Maybe install it and keep it strung backwards, then teach yourself how to play like that : )

Just kidding, but I saw a video of Roger Waters playing live and his Guitar player did just that. Lefty guitar, righty neck, strung backwards so thinnest string at the tope. Crazy.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    The only consideration other than the nut is that you won't be able to see the fret markers on the edge of the neck anymore, since they'll be pointed at the floor.

Nino Valenti and bholder like this.
  5. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    It worked for Tim. I think his is strung BEAD.

[​IMG]

6. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    I thought Albert King did this with his guitar. Perhaps I am wrong.

7. I love upside down fender necks, only thing that bothers me is no inlay on the edge of the board but it can't be hard to add some dots with a sharpie or something

HardNHeavy likes this.
  8. hemmerlinj

hemmerlinj

Sep 21, 2012
    Astoria, NY
    I don't really mind the markers not being there. Not a big issue. Was just concerned that there would be a structural or mechanical issue.

9. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    Arnel M. likes this.
  10. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Zombie thread...

lz4005 likes this.
  11. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    What information changed between today and July 2014 to make it irrelevant?

Why does the search function find threads that are old enough to be considered a zombie thread?

12. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Well, since we're poking the zombie...

One thing I didn't see mentioned was the location for the D/G string retainer will obviously now be at the E/A location. You'll want to add another for the D/G or one full retainer. So there. Zombie can sleep now.

13. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Because it mistakenly presumes that people are smart enough to read dates.

Why would you want to do that? It doesn't matter what the strings are tuned to, only the distance from nut to tuning post determines which need a retainer.

14. Actually I was thinking of this, too. Will it make the E-string sound more solid? but how about the G? I think string makers calculate for the tension of the strings with the standard headstock... Just some thoughts. Appreciate some replies though.

hemmerlinj, have you tried it?

15. HardNHeavy, any reviews on the sound of your righty-leftyneck bass?

16. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    All i can say is it sounds great in a rock situation, with new SD pickups, the neck is like butter. The original maple neck has it's own brighter tone in its own right. But the new rosewood neck is warmer and thinner. I like it..but i strictly use it for my rock band.

Arnel M. likes this.
  17. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    It doesn't work like that. Length beyond the nut or bridge saddle doesn't change how many pounds of pull you need to bring a string to pitch.

Arnel M. likes this.
  18. murmur70

murmur70

May 3, 2017
    Indiana
    I don't know about Might Might but if you custom order a Warmouth neck, you can order it as Reverse Headstock which would put the fret markers on the correct side.

19. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Unless you hook your thumb over your neck, a set of stick on fret dots will work just fine. They are something like $6 a pack.

20. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Exactly. Small Custom Dots 1/8" For Fret Side Markers Work perfectly. I use lefty necks all the time.