1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Putting a MIM Neck on my MIA?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jmone, Oct 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jmone

jmone

Mar 1, 2010
    Hey,

I have a Fender MIA Jazz which has become my main axe as of late. The problem is the neck profile is so damn thick that it hurts especially when I get to the song in our set where I'm slapping octaves. I love everything else about the bass.

I also have a fretless MIM jazz which I use for a couple songs. And the thinner profile just feels so much better.

I’m thinking about the possibility of putting of putting a MIM neck on my MIA. I would have liked an MIA one but it looks like they only sell the "modern c shape".

Does anyone see a problem with that changing the neck? Is it a drastic downgrade?

2. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    If you have a regular 'ol American Standard and a regular 'ol MIM Standard, then the necks should be interchangeable. Quality is subjective between the two. My perspective is that if you like the MIM neck better, then try it out and see if you like for MIA with it. If not, you can always switch back.

3. abracadunphy

abracadunphy

May 22, 2015
  4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Theres good fenders and bad fenders all across the range of lines. Not to mention it may not be a question of quality but preference. Its a reversible decision. No reason not to try it out. My favorite jazz neck is my MIM 93 jazz. Great fingerboard, great resonance, great frets, great profile. Its aging well. Have owned it since 2003.

jmone likes this.
  5. I think you should switch the bodies instead ;)

If you like the MIM neck better, go for it. It should be a harmless and entirely reversible mod. I would recommend using each necks respective neck bolts. The rest is easy peezy.

6. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Comfort over everything else. As long as stability were not an issue, I’d have zero problem using a comfortable Squier neck over a fat MIA. What’s the point in having a bass that is uncomfortable to play?

Novarocker, Dean N, NigelD and 3 others like this.
  7. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Small point to consider is if you buy an MIM neck new that you will need to file the nut even though it is already slotted.

2boom and jmone like this.
  8. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    yup, should be direct fit as said above .. the caveat is that if you are buying used, with the thinner profile, some of the older MIM Standard Jazz necks may possibly have the truss rods maxxed ... I have worked on several for guys that have had excessive relief, and no more adjustment, as well as a couple of my own ... they can usually be made to work if not twisted, but just be aware going in ... '08 and newer will not have the MIM on the front of headstock, older will .... one other thing, most of the 90's, MIM Standards were using 7.25" fretboard radius, I believe the transition to 9.5" took place with the July '01 changes for the '02 model year ...

Also, may want to consider an early Hwy 1 Jazz neck ('03-'05), will have almost exact same profile as MIM Standard Jazz, and headstock will display the Made in USA with a Z serial prefix ... (9.5" radius)

9. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    The most important consideration here is the mechanics: how well does that neck sit in the pocket of the body? If it's a good fit, then go for it. If that pocket doesn't line up well, it could impact the playability and your sound in a significant way.

jmone likes this.
  10. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    It's not a downgrade if it makes the bass comfortable for you. You don't lose any value of the bass as long as you keep the US Fender neck.

Edit: as mentioned above, I would check to see how the neck sits in the pocket.

jmone likes this.
  11. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I have half a dozen P basses and swap MIM and MIA necks all the time. Fully reversible mod if you don't like the result.

jmone likes this.
  12. jmone

jmone

Mar 1, 2010
    Thanks all! I'm kind of GASing for a Jazz V right now (if i can find one with a neck I like). Thinking of maybe just putting on my MIM fretless neck on my MIA body. We'll see...

13. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I've done that, too. Here's a MIM neck on a 2001 US Hot Rod Precision. Makes for a great poor man's Tony Franklin .

These two parts happened to fit together great, with a perfect low action.

IMAG1941.jpg

bordinco90, petrus61, radmin and 3 others like this.
  14. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Incidentally, I have yet to encounter any problems with neck pocket-fit.

Someone mentioned that you might have to recut the nut, but I haven't had any such issues -- I even use the factory-cut not
    on 49-109 LaBellas with no need for widening.

The only issue I've had with neck flipping is sometimes the neck sits too high or low in the new pocket, making for a poor action.
    In this case, you need to add a shim. Stew-Mac sells pre-cut shims that look pretty solid.

You SHOULD be prepared for having to do a new setup, possibly turn the truss rod and raise the saddles. Otherwise, pretty straightforward.

jmone likes this.
  15. jmone

jmone

Mar 1, 2010
    I think they were referring to if I bought a brand new Fender neck (not a whole bass)?

Thanks for the advice. I was preparing to have the bass setup properly after changing the neck. Glad to know this isn't such a crazy idea as I thought. Thanks!

Son of Wobble likes this.
  16. Go for it. Put the MIM neck on the MIA bass and call it Freddie Fender.

upload_2017-10-10_12-47-31.png

Mr. Sound and jmone like this.
  17. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I have only resorted to a shim about 15-20% of the time, so you could be playing the new axe within an hour.

Just be forewarned, an often (ironic) result of flipping necks is that you may find your second-favorite neck and second-favorite body combine to make your best player! :woot:

18. jmone

jmone

Mar 1, 2010
    Haha we'll have to see!

19. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Hope you like being struck by lightning...

Epitaph04 and jmone like this.
  20. Ya know, they cut some pretty damn nice necks in that factory across the border.

I love some of my MIM Jazz and Precision necks.

No shame, go for it.

Same here. Last resort for me, and amazing how often it is completely unnecessary.