putting a neck pickup in the bridge position of a Jazz--requesting advice

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tragos, Sep 20, 2002.

1. tragos

tragos Guest

I've got a body from a Squier Jazz that I'm using for a project, and the routing for the bridge pickup is not the "traditional" size--it's the same size as the neck pickup. I really don't want to do any amateur routing and risk messing up the finish--this body has an amazing shoreline gold finish. I've replaced the neck pickup already with a Fender Vintage Jazz, and I'm trying to decide what to put in the bridge position. I'm looking for advice on two issues:

(1) With the Fender Vintage in the neck position and the stock Squier pickup in the bridge position, do I have the "hum cancelling" effect found in the Fenders? I'm assuming that if I do, I'll lose that when I replace the bridge pickup with a neck pickup. How important is that? I've never had a problem with buzz at all (when I replaced the wiring and pots and jack, I made sure the pickups, control cavity, pickup cavities, and pickguard are all well shielded with foil and paint). If the buzz will become a problem, is there a neck-sized pickup that I could get that I could use with the Fender Vintage and still get that effect (i.e., one that isn't reverse-wound or whatever it is that makes the neck pickup hum cancelling)?

(2) Do you have any recommendations for what kind of pickup would work well with the Fender Vintage Jazz I've already got in the neck position? I like the traditional tones of a jazz bass. I use the bass in two bands--a punk band and a country band--so I prefer a more versatile "standard" sound rather than a sound that is geared toward one style of music.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or information. Thanks!
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Until someone comes in and answers your question; you could consider searching out makers who produce 'same size' J pups. A mate of mine fitted Aero's in his Mim Jazz.
  3. Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    You will need a opposite wound opposite polarity pickup from the one you installed in the neck. This may be a tricky thing to find. I know that if you were to ask a pickup maker you might be able to get a neck spaced bridge pickup. Only problem might be $$$. Try someone like Fralin or SD. I know that my boss could do it(Suhr Guitars), but we'd need to know the polarity and wind direction of the neck pickup.
    Good Luck