1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Putting a Preamp in a Warwick

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jeralya, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Jeralya

Jeralya

Sep 7, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I am starting to get a little annoyed by my fretless corvette, it gets entirely out of control in my rig (because my compressor is kind of crap) and I was looking to trade it out. Instead, since I really like the bass, I figured I might give it a go with a preamp.

Is this a dumb idea? If not, any suggestions on a type?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

There’s a bass mod link in the first paragraph of this thread that may be useful:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276127

My approach to a compressor is like any other effect, it's a tool for a given application - not an across the board necessity. If you like an across the board compressed-like tone then a preamp and/or active pickups typically will enhance if not provide that. Also there are numerous posts about Sans di turning junk rigs into something useable.

3. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Change that preamp and you will hear a noticable improvement in sound, MEC pre's color the pickups in a weird way, i put a Bartolini NTBT on a Corvette and it really opened the sound, and the blend control worked a lot better.
    IMHO, of course.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Looks I got hung up on the compressor thing and didn't address the heart of the question, although my previous post remains related.

In addition (and my typical response), having read Warwick/MEC pups/pre posts that have occurred previously, I've concluded the issue is in the pre not the pups. A search will turn up LOTS of them. There have been lots of complaints about the combo, none that I can recall in support of the pre, but a fair number that favor MEC pups. Never had the combo myself but players have responded with a pretty clear pattern. The above post is still another that supports that pattern.