Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Putting a Preamp in an OLP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mxpx8990, May 1, 2005.

1. mxpx8990

mxpx8990

May 1, 2005
    I have been thinking about putting a preamp in my olp bass and noticed there isn't much space. Has anyone put one in their bass? can it be done?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Do you know the saying about polishing a turd?

3. mxpx8990

mxpx8990

May 1, 2005
    its not a turd to me i like it. besides if i put a preamp and a new pickup it would only cost me about $500 I just nedd to know how to do it

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Unless you want to deal with the hassle of having to remove the front electronics plate every time you change the battery, your best bet is to have it routed for a rear cavity (with cover, obviously). This would certainly cost a bit (depending upon who does it), but if you like it enough to spend the bread, that's the best way to go.

5. I'd use that $500 a little more wisely. But that's just me.

6. Hey bud, first off, go to Warmoth.com and you'll find that they have for about $200, the Seymour Duncan Music man replacement pickup and preamp. It'll cost a bit to install, but that's the cheap-ish SD solution.

If you don't get a professional to get the rear cavity, you can yourself rout a space between the neck and pickup under the pickguard.

Of course, I'd only advise the routing solution if you're competent with a soldering iron and a router.

And I would question that comment about polishing a turd.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Agreed. If you are interested in a good Stingray copy, $500 should be able to purchase a Dillion, which is a much better instrument than the OLP.

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I would agree with you, but I bought an OLP MM3 last week, and I love the jebus out of it. I am putting an SD pickup and Aggie OBP3 in it. It is so nice.

9. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Yea, dealing with misinformation is tough to deal with when it comes to the very emotional subject of copies v.s. originals; do some real digging and you'll be on your way so saving hundreds (and in some case, thousands). In the end you'll end up with virtually the instrument.

Send me a PM and I'll tell you about my 4 OLPs...

KT

10. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I've always thought that the OLPs sound like a very weak version of EB MM's. They have a weaker and less defined output, but extremely close in tone. I've always thought that all they needed was a new MM pickup and preamp and it would be EXTREMELY close to a real MM. I doubt anyone would tell the difference in the mix.

Also, the one I played at GC had some of the best, most effortless slapping action I've ever played. $200 is a deal for OLP.

-Eric.

11. I put a pre-amp in an OLP MM & it wasn't incredibly difficult. I had to rout the control cavity out quite a bit & it ain't pretty.....BUT......you can't see it w/ the control plate on. Also I put the battery under the pickguard.
    I kept the original pickup & it sounds great although I only use it for practice......I use the real EBMMs for the gigs.

12. mxpx8990

mxpx8990

May 1, 2005
    Do you have any pictures of what you did?

13. No I don't, & the bass isn't with me......I leave it where I have band practice which is the reason I got it.

14. Old thread back to life.

I bought an OLP from another member here for under $200. I found the electronics and pickup out of a SUB5 on the evil bay for under $50. I put the electronics into the OLP and sold the pickup here for $50

There was a a lot of (ugly) routing that needed to be done to the OLP to put in the electronics and a battery compartment in the back. But for the under $10 it ended up costing me the upgrade was worth it.

Is is a MM? no, but this particular OLP plays very well and now sounds pretty good too. A great bass for $200