Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

putting a Spalted Maple Top on Alder

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by KAOSBass, Sep 14, 2005.

1. KAOSBass

KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    I'm wanting to put a Spalted maple Top on a 2 pc Alder body. Are there any tips you can give me for treating the wood, glueing, shaping, thicknesses of each, etc...

I have done 2 basses in the past, and am getting into building again, But this time I have some pretty cool ideas I'm toying with, but I wanted to use a Spalted maple top this time, I really like the look of it. Any help you can give me will help alot.

2. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    Pay special attention to sanding the spalt.....Some areas may be softer than others and therefor sand at a faster rate, leaving depressions. You can always stabilize there soft areas with CPES ( a clear penetrating epoxy used in the boat restoration business) or superglue.

3. I suppose it's good when the pros actually read your posts but in my case it usually gets me in trouble. :rolleyes: Larry Davis has pointed out to me the complete factual error of my post above. To clarify the point, I'll give you what Larry told me:

I'll just leave the expert wood stuff to the wood experts from now on. :D

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Here's a tip: wear a dust mask at all times when there is spalt being worked or the dust is in the air. If possible, use dust collection, and run an air filter. Spalt is fungus, and exposure to fungus is not good for your lungs.

5. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I just wear a mask any time I'm making wood dust, regardless of the wood. I've had my share of strangely coloured sneezes and hour long coughing fits.

-Nate