Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Putting a stop to the buzz.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Noah-Fecks, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Noah-Fecks

Noah-Fecks

Sep 13, 2000
    Scotia, NY
    I know that many a people have asked about the damn electrical buzz/humm sound from pickups. I have recently put 1/4 pounder pickups in my mim p-bass & i need to know the best way to put the ground the grounding wiring. I want someone to end this grounding problem once & for all. Thanks.

2. mac315

mac315

Nov 11, 2001
    Ellijay, Georgia
    Derek, It's hard to say what the problem is. Did you have the buzz before you upgraded the pickups? Also, you should be advised that these pickups tend to be on the noisy side. If you think the noise is excessive you may want to get a Rocktron or similar device to filter it out. But none-the-less here are a few standard things that you can try.

1) What value are the pots? Using the improper pot will give you humm or buzz. Check with Seymour Duncan to see if they have specifics on this.

2) Make sure your wires are properly connected, and the connections are good. (cold solder joints can give you noise). Check the wiring thoroughly and look for any connections or wires that you don't know why they are being used.

Troubleshooting can be tough, but a little persistence generally goes a long way.

Joe Weiss
    Weiss Custom Basses