1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Putting a thumb rest on a wick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by redefine dave, Aug 1, 2007.

1. I have a tendency to put too much pressure down on my pickup when I anchor down to play... To the point where I've caused the pickup to come loose, which usually ends in my going to my repair man and having him fix what I screw up. I know that I could always loosen up, but I've been playing this way for years, and I don't think its something that I can do... I've tried.
    Anyways, I'm thinking about throwing a thumb rest on a warwick... Just wondering everyone's opinion/advice on this.

2. Umm, learn the floating thumb technique? :)

No, seriously, I don't know. I wouldn't go drilling holes in the wood of a Warwick unless I was real sure I'd be keeping the bass for a long, long, time.

3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I suppose it would depend on the bass. I'd drill holes in a Rockbass in a heartbeat if I thought it would make the bass more user friendly, not so much on a neck-through model. Perhaps get a good luthier to glue in a strip of wood? I'd imagine that would be easier to remove and clean off at a later date and if a good piece of wood was used (maybe wenge?) it would probably look like it belonged there. I wouldn't screw in a plastic rest unless it was an action of last resort.

4. JebSmells

JebSmells

Jul 23, 2007
    UK
    if he used a hide glue then you could remove it at a later date and it would hold fast so long as you didn't get it wet or very hot (it's what they use on expensive acoustic guitars and traditional violins on parts than will require maintanence at some point)

5. I'd be trying to secure the pickup better before adding a thumb rest. Is it possible to look at increasing the gauge of screw(s) holding your pickup?

6. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    If you're putting that much pressure on the pups, what makes you believe you won't push a thumb rest off? Besides a thumb rest on a Warwick is like wearing socks in the shower; it just don't look right.

7. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    You can do this work yourself:

Take off your strings, install a denser piece of foam (or a cut up mousepad) and reinstall pickup, strings, adjust pickup height.

You should be good.

8. timmbass

timmbass

Oct 4, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I agree. Cut up a mousepad and screw that thing down. Cut the mouse pad layers to height and when you screw the pickup down on it it will be a very firm foundation.

9. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    *cringe* if your putting so much pressure on your pickup that it's causing the pickup to come loose, you'll prob eventually cause the thumb rest to come loose and I'd hate to see what kind of damage that might do. I'd say maybe some technique issues need to be worked on.

10. Tough question....

Personally I don't think I could drill into my Warwick... Id stick with the repair guy. Thats what they are for...Repairing things :)

11. For whatever reason, its only happened to warwicks... The fortress I had was another problem, but the $$ PU's seem to come loose... I paid more attention to it tonight, and I'm not so sure its me putting too much pressure on it... I think the screws need to be replaced...

Thanks for all the input though guys, I appreciate it.

12. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    I have to say:

I live in NYC, I couldn't find someone to do a setup for less than $50 (w/o new strings even). I got one done at that price and was underwhelmed so I decided to take things into my own hands and now I can do a full setup myself, just be patient, research, and work slowly.

This particular project of installing a mousepad under the pickups is simple, no way to botch anything up. You should try doing some of your own setups/repairs, its fun, fulfilling and keeps some money in your wallet.

13. drmckool

drmckool

Jun 15, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    i only have one thing to say

"NOOOOOOO DO NOT DRILL HOLES INTO A WARWICK"