1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Putting a Washburn neck on a MIJ Precision body.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by scootron, May 9, 2010.

1. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    I have a project going. My two major parts are:

1. Beautiful MIJ Fender P Bass body, the type that doesn't need a pickguard; and

2. A really nice Washburn Bantam fretless neck.

The heel of the neck is the right width, and I think the screw holes will match up (if not, I'll plug and re-drill).

The problem is that the heel of the Washburn neck has an angled extension on it. That is, the fingerboard is standard, but one side of the heel extends another three inches or so, and is about a 45 degree angle from the other side of the heel.

The obvious answer seems to be to sand or cut off enough of the angled extension to make the neck fit properly into the pocket.

Has anyone dealt with anything like this before? Any advice or different ideas?

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    those parts are completely incompatible without major woodwork. the scale placement is totally different, so you'd have to somehow attach the neck way down into the middle of the body.

i wouldn't bother.

3. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    Understood. Disappointing, but understood.

I guess I need to start looking for a Fender fretless neck.