Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Putting all that gear to work! ("Bass" PA rig)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tombowlus, Aug 10, 2005.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    This past weekend was our annual "river bash" here along the mighty Sandusky River in scenic Fremont, Ohio, and it makes for a great party. Here are some random shots of the "venue":

The "stage"
    [​IMG]

People are just starting to show up:
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot showing the river (and my lovely wife and charming son! :) My daughter was home with a sitter)
    [​IMG]

Kegs and a hog roast are provided, with people bringing all kinds of extra food. Quite the feast! :cool: Normally, we have three bands play, but one couldn't make it, so both of my bands played (meaning I was on stage pretty much all night). We had always hired sound in the past, but for a very long party (4:00pm till @ 3:00am), and being outside, the sound support costs were getting up there. So, this year, I volunteered to bring the PA (and another buddy volunteered to help run it when I was on stage). For the mains, I brought my Bergantino custom 1x15 subs (Eminence Omega Pro's), supplemented by an HT115 on each side, to handle lows. Mids/highs were handled by an HT310 and HT112 on each side. This sounded incredible! Even my buddy who runs sound for some major support crews was very impressed, and felt that these cabs did a perfect job for PA. The monitors were all EA VL-110's (which I have found to be excellent in this role), with an extra LDS 1x8 on top for the drum monitor. We had the volume of the monitors up to the point where we were asking to have them turned down, and the sound was crystal clear, with no feedback. Also very impressive, in my book. You can see the Mains and montors fairly well in this shot (though it is kind of blurry - sorry! :meh: ):

[​IMG]

My board is a Mackie Onyx 1620, which I really like. I had a nice Anvil case made for it along with most of my dynamics/processing rack gear. Here is a shot:

[​IMG]

I did not get a shot of my amp rack, but is it a matching Anvil case, and for this gig, it housed two CA9's (one for lows, one for mids/highs), my PLX 3002 (for monitors), a crossover and a Furman.

Up on stage, I finally got to try out my V8 with my Berg NV215! :bassist: In one of the bands, we only have one guitar player, so I use the octave up out of my UniBass for a "rhythm guitar" rig. The speakers are my custom 2xWizzy "Super Wizzy's" made by Steve Azola. I had tried powering them with my Tube Works head, but found that the Walter Woods (with overdrive from my Daddy-O) sounded better. That's a Shure ULXS wireless in a Gator bag on top.

[​IMG]

For electric bass, I played my trusty Gibson Thunderbird, my new Skjold Custom 5, and my Tobias Basic 5. I also ran my old Kay upright through this rig, and it sounded pretty darn good, believe it or not! Here are a couple of "action shots." I'll post one or two in the "gig shots" forum, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At any rate, I really do feel like these "bass cabs" did a great job for mains and for PA. And you know those big old amps (CA9's) that we like for our bass rigs? Well heck, they work pretty good for PA, too! ;)

Party on, Tom.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Kickin'!!!!!

That's just about the coolest thing I've seen! Bet it intimidated the gui****s in the house to have NO chance to get louder then the bass rig.... it's all bass rig

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    that's amazing Tom!

Do you still have those pix of the EA PA?

4. haha! totally amazing set up :) sounds like a great event! :)

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Here's one (though it's a cruddy pic):

[​IMG]

6. Wow very impressive! Better not let the singer see that he will want to be borrowing some stuff!

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks! Luckily, the singer from Gingley JoH lives two hours away, and the singer for Pumpin' Ethyl is not into gear at all. Now, both lead guitar players are another story! :meh: ;)

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    So what did you do with the other 3/4 of your gear. I guess it stayed at home?:)

10. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Seeing that V8 on top of the NV215 made me shed a tear...:crying:

Awesome set-up man.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm not at all surprised that Berg bass cabs (plus the subs) sound fantastic for PA, but... but...

Ah, forget it... those pictures have left me speechless! :eek: :cool: :eek: :cool: :eek:

12. ashbory

ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    I'm amazed that there was enough gear left over for a bass rig.
    One thing that troubles me though is the sm57 hanging sideways over the speaker. I hope that wasn't the source for your bass signal going into all that bass cab goodness.

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That was there because we were going to mic that rig (my "rhythm guitar rig"), but ended up having to use that channel for something else, so no, that 57 was not intended to be used in that position, nor was it the source of my bass signal! ;)

I used the DI out of the V8 (which sounded great), but for some of the night (when I was getting a bit aggressive), I wasn't even in the PA! :eek: