1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Putting an Aguilar into my Spector...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Josh Pelican, Apr 21, 2010.

1. I see so many people with Aguilar preamps in their Spector basses. I recently acquired my first Spector (an old NS2000/QM) and I'm considering putting one in; however, I have a fairly simple question regarding this.

As with most Spectors, it has the four knob configuration:
    2e3zzbs.

If I wanted to go with the OBP-3 with selector switch, will it be an easy installation? I will be taking it to a store to have installed, but a few people said that it could crack the finish. How much damage can be done here?

I would love to chuck this preamp in it (along with Nordstrand pickups down the road), but I really don't want to damage the bass at all. I could go with a two pickup/four knob configuration, but I've always had my eye on this specific setup!

(p.s. don't mind the picture, I was getting ready to apply lemon oil to the fingerboard and re-string it!)

EDIT: I am also tempted to put a Haz Lap preamp in it, but I have no idea how much they are. :(

2. Why the hell would swapping preamps crack the finish?:confused:

3. Time Consumer

Time Consumer

Jan 27, 2008
    Joliet Ill.
    I think he thinks you'd hafta drill a hole for a 5th pot.

4. It'd cost you a few extra Samolians, but how about just going with a stacked bass/treble knob? My Roscoe and Mike Lull basses come to mind - same four knobs whether you run Bart NTMB or Aguilar OBP-3.

5. As long as you drill carefully, you'll be fine.

Make sure you drill from the top, not the back.
    If the drill pushes through, you don't want to tear out a chunk of the top because your drilled from the back.

6. Sorry, I meant to say it would crack the finish upon drilling a hole for the mid-frequency selector switch.

I've switched preamps (with stacked pots) and pickups before, but I've never had to make an extra hole for anything.

On bestbassgear.com, for example, there are two OBP-3 configurations for four knobs:
    1) vol; vol; mid; treble/bass; mid selector switch.
    2) vol; blend; mid; treble/bass; mid selector switch.

I know I can change this for a push/pull configuration as opposed to a switch, but if I choose the switch, the drilling would have be done through the top in order to conserve the finish, correct?

I haven't seen many people bother with the switches (at least on Spectors), so I may just go with the push/pull knob and be part of the norm!

7. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses
    You get pretty much the same thing so I`d avoid any drilling.

8. I don't see any reason not to opt for a push/pull pot if you are afraid of damaging the finish by drilling a hole.

9. I knew it'd be an easy question! :smug:

Thanks, all. Push pull it is. I would never forgive myself if my baby was damaged!