Putting Casters On My Peavey TNT 115. Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Jan 13, 2003.

1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    i want to put casters on my tnt 115 because it's pretty heavy. is this a good idea? meaning, will it work pretty good and not mess anything up? have any of you installed casters onto amps that didn't originally have them?
  2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I have some removeable casters but I never use them. The best solution I have found is to make a "dolly board". Glue up some plywood so it's over an inch thick, make it about 18"x24" and put the biggest casters you can find underneath. Some folks will attach a strap of some sort.

The great thing about this is you can use one set of casters for lots of stuff, and when you want to lean an amp back, the casters can come off.
  3. I put a set on my Hartke 4.5XL and they work fine. A dolly board will work well too. The only thing I have against dolly boards is that they get left laying around during setup and breakdown. The sound man stepped on mine once and really screwed up his back. I haven't used one since. jmho
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    First thing I do when I buy a new cab is put pop-out casters on it. Every time.
  5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i bought a dolly board from a local hardware store (Lowes) for $20. i have a bad back and wouldn't leave without it. you may want to buy a strap or some rope to help keep the board from getting stuck when you hit a hole in the street, sidewalk, etc.

what i do is loop the strap under the board and pull the rope and the cabinet at the same time (my rack is on top of the cab as well - 150 lbs worth of stuff total)

the dolly board can take 1000 lbs (that's four of me!! :D )
  6. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    That's what I did too -- scrap wood, screws, casters from Home Depot and cheap flat black spray paint.

It required minimal carpentry skills (good thing, in my case) and the whole thing cost me less than $20.

Built one for my sister's amp too.
  7. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    so should i go for the dolly board and not put casters straight onto the amp?
  8. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    That's what I did with my TNT, before I decided to go with a lighter rig. There are more positives than negatives, IMO. The only negatives for me were the initial "positioning" of the TNT on the dolly board, and the occasional readjustment if I hit a bump. I bought a dolly board from Carvin ~$30 that has pretty heavy casters, is Duratuff covered, and its 16" X 24" is almost the exact dimension of my TNT.
  9. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    100 pounds of steel, silicone, plastic, and wood... ya, sounds like a plan to me.