1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

putting in block inlays?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yellowbassj, Mar 26, 2006.

1. yellowbassj

yellowbassj

Mar 20, 2006
    how would i go about putting block inlays on a rosewood neck that already has dot inlays? I want to put them on a MIM Fender Jazz. I have no clue on how to do this. What tools do I need.

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I would assume a router or something. If you're not a luthier idk if I would attempt that. There seems like a good chance of messing it up.

3. The tools you need are a wallet and a travel ticket to take the bass to a good luthier!!!

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Proper inlaying procedure requires that frets are removed during the work then refretted when complete. You'll a precision router (or dremel with router attachment) and specialized bits, needle files, pearl cutting saws, a scribe, epoxy, plenty of patience, plus the tools for fretting.

Oh, and you should probably read up on it first, and watch a video or two: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Inlay,_pearl/Building_and_repair:_Inlay,_pearl_cutting.html

And on top of all that, financially it would be much less expensive to purchase a new neck from Warmoth to your spec, because all the tools, materials and time will cost as much as your bass, and more than a new neck.

5. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    my thought exactly...Doing this yourself, would be disastrous.
    However , try this! Go somewhere,and get pearl sticker paper,cut blocks to size and install. I have been doing this to sort of customize my basses for next to nothing for 10 years, and so far I get compliments and no ones the wiser!

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    www.fretware.com can do adhesive blocks too... but they're technically overlays.

7. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    I wonder how a fretless with block inlays would look like?(anyone have pics)

Anyway yellow, i think you should get i done profesionnaly(unless you got this bass for free, you dont care about it, or you have another one) because if you screw up your done for.

8. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Personally, I think you'd be better off in the long run to just sell the bass and buy one that has block inlays already.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Probably rather silly...and pointless too IMO. If the player needs a visual aid (and I sure do) lines make a lot more sense than dots or blocks...

10. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    heh...but what if it was a a 75' jazz...frettless?

Oh and that Sticker idea is geniusbut make sure you glued it down good.

Thats what i wanted to do anywas.( I love the look af the 75 jazz bass neck, but wanted to try a fretless and so i wanted to see how it would look combined.black block inlay stickers and lines coated with polyurathane)

11. yellowbassj

yellowbassj

Mar 20, 2006
    I guess i would rather just do the adhesive thang. I didn't know it was so complicated to do inlays. I have sticker "inlays" on another bass but I just wanted the real thing for the Fender. What are the best stickers to use?

12. Iv'e seen a defretted and epoxied '75 Jazz with maple neck and white blocks and it was nothing but pure sex. I plan on doing a warmoth fretless jazz with black box inlays in the future.

13. I'd personally just scavenge up the $300 or so bucks and get one of the Warmoth blocked necks.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Would look good but sound really bad unless you epoxied the board over it. Due to the nature of fretless, stopping (fretting) over mother of pearl inlays will sound different than on wood. The only way to end up with this tonal consistency is epoxy.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    www.fretware.com ... had some on an acoustic guitar. Only problem is the 12th fret, the dots may be too far apart for the stickers to cover them entirely.

16. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    I agree.

Your bass is a MIM right? Well once you have a pro instal new inlays (defret, inlaying, board leveling, refreting and dressing) or buy a Warmoth Neck, have it finnished, installed, have the frets leveled, and a nut cut, you've spent more on the bass than the bass is worth. It would actually be cheeper to sell the MIM, and buy something that has the inlays already there.

If you don't dig the Geddy Jazz, I believe Fedner Japan offers a few models with blocks and binding.

Good luck!

~Paul :)

17. AngryJason

AngryJason

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento CA
    I've looked high and low for pearl sticker paper/contact paper with zero luck. Where are you getting yours?

BTW, the Fretware site listed above is nice, but they're not taking orders, apparantly. I tried to place an order a few months back with no luck.

18. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I happen to have a full set of Fretware stick-on "inlays" (the Paua abalone pre-cut blocks) which I bought a few years ago and never installed. $15 shipped- PM me if you want them.

19. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    OK, I just saw this in the show your fretless thread...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2843319&postcount=105

The Jazz looks great...when I wrote my comment I guess I was envisioning an unlined fretless with blocks...perhaps if I saw one I'd like it, but in my mind's eye, it looks odd...