Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

putting light gauge strings on a fender...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by The_major_Rajor, Apr 15, 2004.

1. The_major_Rajor

The_major_Rajor

Apr 15, 2003
    Canada
    hey
    i recently tried out a pair of ultra light gauge strings, 30-90s but i cannot seem to get a good setup out of them, with nice low action but not too much fret buzz,

I have set up my bass before but this is proving slightly more difficult. Also the strings are really loose... basically the bass is unplayable with these strings one!!

I play a mia fender jazz .
    thanks

2. lower action is easier to achieve with heavier gauge strings. it appears that light gauge strings might not be what your looking for.

3. Yep, you can't change the laws of physics.

4. The_major_Rajor

The_major_Rajor

Apr 15, 2003
    Canada
    ok just thought i'd update everyone on the status of my setup, I tooled with my truss rod and string height a bit more last night and managed to get a decent setup with low action and not much fret buzz, playing with a nice light touch helps. My g string is still a bit loose for my liking though. Is there any way to fix this problem? I guess it does boil down to physics in the end. I might keep the 90,70, 50 strings on and switch up to a 40 gauge if I cant fix it up soon.

5. lonote is right - light gauge strings require less tension than heavier gauge strings. String tension can't be adjusted. It's a combination of string gauge, scale length, and tuned pitch.