1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Putting Metal Pickup/Bridge Covers on a P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Moogeddy, Mar 31, 2009.

1. I have been wondering about trying to put metal pickup and bridge covers on my new Fender American Standard P-Bass but it doesn't have the predrilled holes to screw into.

Any recommendations on how I would go about doing this without wrecking my bass?

2. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    You can't, "wreck your bass", by installing these.

If you're uncomfortable with drilling small holes for these screws, you'll need to have someone else do it.

3. Pedal2DaMeddle

Pedal2DaMeddle

Apr 10, 2016
    You should be fine drilling the holes, but put masking tape on the parts of the body where the cover makes contact so the cover doesn't scratch things up when you're lining them up. Then center each cover the best you can, marking the hole with a pencil. Drill through the marks to about the depth of a pickguard screw (with the tape on) and remove the tape when you finish drilling. TA DA!

4. I used a machinist scale. Measure the distance between the holes in the cover, then measure the bridge width or pickup width whichever your working on. Subtract that from your first measurement, then divide that difference in half. That is the distance you measure from the side of the bridge or pickup on each side and mark it. Then check the locations you marked by putting the cover holes over the spot and see if they line up. If not you screwed up! As far as the pickup cover, the holes should line up with the space between the split line of the pickup for location in the other direction.

5. And I just noticed this is a zombie thread....

6. Pedal2DaMeddle

Pedal2DaMeddle

Apr 10, 2016
    How so?

7. the last post before your first one is dated 2009.

8. Pedal2DaMeddle

Pedal2DaMeddle

Apr 10, 2016
    Ah.

1stnamebassist likes this.