Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Putting My Music where my Mouth Is (finally!!)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by john turner, Jan 10, 2001.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    after months of my pontification on the superiority of conklin basses, finally you can hear them in action. please be nice :D

last night i stayed up to 3:30 to get this mixed and converted to mp3, just for my fellow talkbasser's pleasure :D. this song is one of our more Rush-influenced tunes, so all you rush fans out there, tell me what you think.

first, a few things - the file is pretty big ~ 11 meg. the reason for this is that the song is 12:07 long and i wanted the mp3 to be a decent quality and stereo. if that is too big to download but you want to hear it anyway, hang on for a few days, i should have a few smaller snips from it up tonight or tomorrow, as well as a smaller, mono version.

another thing - the mix is _EXTREMELY_ rushed - i did it by myself in about 30 minutes(and the song is 12 minutes long), so the sound quality isn't anywhere near as high as the finished product. there are no effects on any of the instruments (like reverb or chorus or such), and very little eq, so things are going to sound a bit dry and uneven in spots. also, the drum mix was done a few months ago, and it's not very good - the toms and the bass drum are a bit indistinct. also, there was very little compression on the mix, and at places some instruments are a bit loud or a bit quiet. so please be gentle to the mixing engineer/producer (me) :D

anyway, here it is...

http://lordonly.net/Mp3s/verseres.mp3

thanks for being interested, and let me know what you think.

2. JT..
    Very, very cool! Unfortunately I can't crank it 'cause I'm at work, so I'm kinda putting my ear up to my computer speaker.
    I like the bass breaks at around the 6-minute mark! (That's not a xylophone solo right after the bass solos, is it?!?) And the real dramatic section around 8:30 in is cool too.
    Now, get a gig so I can see this thing live!

3. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey dave

yeah, actually that's marimba. there's quite a bit of electronic drums and percussion throughout this particular song.

thanks for listening, and i can't wait to play out either :D.

4. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

hey John, finnaly all this waiting came to an end!

now in retrospective- great stuff!!!!

you got cool technique and great music writing abilities!

if thats the poor mix version, then the finished one will be head rippin' !

p.s. the Conklin seats well in this kind of music, though personally it's not my sound but still I like what it does to this song.

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks for downloading and for the complements, air_leech, i'm glad that you dug it :D

yeah, a big part of the sound on there is the lane poor pickups - i really love the way they let me sit in the mix and still be audible in a fairly dense-sounding ensemble, like my band. i wish lane poor was still in business. :(

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Pretty hip. Dave told me to check it out. I did, and I dug it. And, like Dave said, get a gig, and I'll be there. Plus, it'll help me to convince the gf that there is no such thing as "too many basses." She is starting to get a bit leary after I got the 7th one...

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    cool, thanks man. yeah, gigs would be great. :rolleyes: :D

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey jt...i listened to your tune and all i could think of was.... :eek: wow..gawd *jaw drops* *drool*....there's a lot of really kewl stuff on there. u guys really do kikk ass. i was really stoked by the marimba part. that was awesome. yeah, i know...i'm a percussion geek when i'm not totin' around my bass. i was actually TAUGHT how to play drums, and once, long ago i played snare with the phantom regiment for a small stint, for u guys that are into drum and bugle corps... anyway, so, uhhhhh,............when's the release party? :confused: i think i might have to crash it. if i'm not at sea or loading missiles again. :D

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, neptoon

thanks, glad you dig it, and don't worry, you won't have to crash it, you'll be invited. :D if it ever happens. :rolleyes:

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Excellent JT.

Great piece of music. I loved the eclectic instrumentation, the changes in meter and tempo, and the mood of the piece. The song builds almost like a Mozart, or even Wagner, symphonic movement. I have to echo the sentiment, I loved the bass breaks at around the 6-minute part. The whole section from about 5 minutes through til 8 minutes is some of my favorite stuff. Although the closing that starts at about the 10 1/2 minute mark is great. Great melody. And, the "cowboyish" bass that follows, excellent. It's got a great sound. I really dig it. Wonderful arragement.

Also, props on your producing skills. It's a really good sound mix.

Let me know when I can buy your CD.

Okay, that's enough spanking JTs ego! :D

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, jazzbo, thank you very much :D and that's ok, you don't have to worry about my ego, keep 'em coming :D :D

spank me spank me (my ego talking :D)

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Um, okay. Now I'm uncomfortable. ;)

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :D

thanks to everyone who downloaded and listened.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice work, John!

Your producer chops are almost as good as your bassplayer chops!

Where do I send the tab? ;):D

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks, and, man you gotta post the tab, let's let everybody see! :D

geez, we need a "tabs" forum :D :eek:

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    JT-
    WHAT?! What happened...I thought LP's were in such high demand on the high-end stuff; like, I thought they were set for a lonnngg time! Man!
    (...and I just finished assembling yet another bass. Another FOUR-stringer, JT, with Fender parts, no less, blah...and with my last Jazz set of Lane Poor's!
    A retro-lookin' Jazz with a series/parallel switch for a modern thump...).
    Still in disbelief about LP...

BTW-
    ...lemme know when you have a disc ready for sale(as I don't download any music on my PC).

17. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

John, I second the motion. As I am low tech, I prefer just to buy the CD. Please don't hesitate to let us know when and how we can buy it. And HURRY! I can't wait.

Jason OLdsted

18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks xavier. i did the mix in about 1 hour or so, in my living room :D . the guitars have no effects - not even reverb, in fact nothing has any 'verb on it or anything. we will be remixing this when we mix the first cd, which should be any day now. :rolleyes: actually, we just have a few vocal tracks to finish up and then we'll be able to mix both cds. (we're doing 2 (~72 min each) at a time. yes we like pain :D)

anyway, thanks for downloading it and listening. :D

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    don't download?!?!? geez, man it's like the 21st century, or something. :D

i'll make sure to let you guys know when we have "product" :D

[Edited by john turner on 01-13-2001 at 07:33 PM]

20. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, I'm listening to it as I type this. Kind of reminds me of Yes from the Relayer/Close to the Edge era, with some Rush and Flecktones thrown in. :D I have to agree with the consensus here, that your bass sounds great, and your sound is pretty distinctive. And not just the bass, the bassist sounds good too. ;) WHERE'S THE CD??? Oops, sorry, didn't mean to shout, but I'll buy this one when it comes out.

In a nutshell: very cool. Thanks.