1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Putting new speakers in Hartke 2.5XL cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kanekila, Aug 14, 2007.

1. I just bought a used Hartke 2.5XL cab in excellent condition for a great price, and in fact, it's rated for 700 watts now (from the normal 200), because the previous owner put in a pair of Eminence Delta 10's. The thing is, I think while the speakers do sound good, they're a bit too much in the mids and not enough lows for me. EQ'ing to compensate just makes for mudd-ville. I also tend to roll off the highs a bit, so the little 5" speaker in there probably isn't doing a whole lot. I'm not a fan of hi-fi modern bass tone too much, but prefer a bigger, rounder old-school tone, yet with more definition than my trusty old 15" speaker will give me.

Also, the guy I bought it from said 10's he put in are 16 ohms each, but I can't find anywhere on them that indicates 8 or 16 ohm. They are wired in parallel though, and he said the cab is rated at 8 ohm, so I'm guessing they are. I do notice that my amp (Hartke 3500) seems to need more gain to drive the cab.

If I replace these Deltas with two 8 ohm speakers (I'm thinking of using the Eminence Basslite S2010's), and the little 5" speaker is 8 ohms (I checked), would my cab still be running at 4 ohms? I noticed there is what appears to be a resistor stuck in the middle of the hot wire from the little 5" to one of the others. Is this used to make the ohms correct?

:meh:

Truth be told, I can get by with it the way it is, but if I can put is something with just a bit less in the mids, and a bit more in the lows, it would be just about right for what I'm doing.

Thanks for any/all help!

TJW

2. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    just get an used 8ohm 1X12 or 1X15 cab to put under the 2x10 and yer done.