Putting new strings on

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mike88T, Jan 11, 2002.

1. I did a search and found the link to the BP page but I have questions about cutting the string.
    The article says to cut the strings if they are too long but kind of misses on saying what the optimal lenghth is to cut em past the tuner. I just got some DR lo riders and looking at the E string it's about 8" past the tunner and I know thats too much but what would be the right length? Also would the type of tuners make a difference to any extent?
    Also the article mentions bending the string before cutting it so it won't unwrap, but then I see posts about how newer manufacturing techniques have eliminated this problem. I can see how bending would make it easier to insert into the tuner so I will probably do this anyway but is it necessary?

Also are there any articles on setup that I should look at before I restring My Bass?

Last question. I was looking at some fretless basses at GC while I was waiting for my fingers to unfreeze (it's not supposed to be 40 degrees in Miami darnit) and I just love the flatwounds that were on a Fender. Could I use Flats on a fretted bass (not ready to defrett mine yet)?
  2. Whatever length is necessary to give the string three wraps around the tuner post.
  3. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I cut mine to about 6" over. I don't do any bending, and have never had a problem with any kind of unwrapping. You can certainly use flats on any fretted bass. Just depends on the sound you are looking for. Lots of different flats out there. Bright flats, groundwounds, compressed, SS, nickel. They will each give a different tone and feel.
  4. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Mike88T, I see in your profile that you play a Fender Jazz. On my Fender Jazz I measure four inches past the tuner and end up with perfect wraps everytime. I also bend the string first and make the cut just past the bend. This is really important with round core strings (DR Hi-Beams/DR Fatbeams) but I do it with any string. The DR Lo-Riders you are putting on are really awesome strings.
  5. I have this page from BP: http://www.bassplayer.com/gear/install.shtml
    I don't know if it's the same you were reading. This is a great instructional page on how to put new strings on your bass. It says about 4in past the knob to cut. Use the page as a guide then decide what what you want to do.
  6. yes thanks Rage, thats the one I saw. I was unclear as to wheather 4" was where to cut it.

Do you know another article about settup and truss rods and such?

One more thing to ask. i see by the article that it says to cut the strings Off I would rather save the strings as I am a Cheap MoFo. I am just changing them because I just realized(thru another post on how do read the serial Numbers on headstock) that these are the strings that came on the bass and it's a 95 MIM jazz so I kind of doubt they are as good as they could be. So the question is should I do anything to the strings once I take em off and is saving them even worth it? Also can I just wrap em up and stick em in the envelopes that the New strings came in?
    Thanks for any advice
  7. And i didn't cut myself or poke my eye out or nothing haha.

Bad new is I don't have a tuner so I hope the tuner we have at the practice place is there tomorrow Or I get to try and tune By ear. The DRs sound very bright compared to the ones on there hard To tune it against the Old strings so I just put them all on one after the other and got as close as I could.