1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

putting new tuners on?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jcphockey16, Oct 1, 2008.

1. i just picked up a jazz bass from 2003 and it has some giant tuners on the headstock that make the neck dive. i want to put the smaller hipshot tuners that are on my deluxe jazz on the new bass. can you just swap them out?

2. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    the hipshot only has 1 screw hole. That means the others will still be visible. If your okay with that make sure its the right shaft diameter. They are easier to put it too. the bushing screw on instead of being tapped in and out. be carefull removing the old ones.

3. i cant even see any screw holes for the ones that are on now

4. Bofee

Bofee

Aug 19, 2005
    Grass Valley, CA
    Some tuning machines have indexing pins as opposed to screws. I have a P Bass like that. You'll see the "pockets" when you remove the tuner. Check out Schaller lightweight tuners as well, they are a little less expensive than the Hipshots, available from Warmoth. Many manufacturers require different sized holes through the headstock. It's worth the effort to do a little research and find out which ones will require the least work.