Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Putting Old Strings on

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by jlattuada, May 12, 2005.

1. jlattuada

jlattuada

Apr 25, 2001
    Richmond, Va
    When I got my bass almost 4 years ago, it came set up with Eudoxa Strings. The instrument was brand new and needed playing in. I changed the strings to Helicore hybrids which sounded better right away on the bass.

My question is ... will there be any problems with going back to strings that were hardly used but have been sitting wrapped up for more than 3 years. I am curious as to what the bass will sound like with Eudoxa now that it has "opened up" and my technique has improved.

Thanks

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes, tons of problems. You should just wrap those Eudoxas up and send them to me and I will dispose of them properly.

Seriously, you won't know until you try them, but I doubt they'll be any worse for wear. But if you end up not liking them, I might be interested in buying them off you, so keep me posted!

3. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I've never heard of problems with old strings. In the case of steel strings (not your Eudoxas), they can easily rust if not wiped off when taken off the bass (this has happened to me with Spirocores and Helicores that I took off the bass, put in the closet, and went back to some time later for a second try). But generally, old strings are your friend...