1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Putting on bridge and pickup gaurds

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KingOvHell, Apr 6, 2009.

1. How do you go about doing this? Do you just put them wear you think they look good or is there a specific place to put them? I know the go over the bridge and pickup but is there a certin distance or just guess the best way? Alos do you use a drill to drill though the bass or would just a screw driver work?

2. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Well I would certainly pre-drill the holes vs just driving the screws into virgin wood or else you risk splitting the body. Use a bit that is the same diameter as the shaft of the screw MINUS the threads. Any bigger and you risk the threads not grabbing.

Am I understanding you want to put covers on a bass that did not have them originally? Just curious why you would want to do this. For looks? Cause they really make no difference on the sound. I hope this is not a very valuable bass you are planning to do this to.

3. Yea just for looks.

4. It a 2008 fender american standered p-bass.

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Do NOT just stick a screw in there - you'll probably crack or chip the finish and you will absolutely cause a mound where the screw goes in.

Study photos of installations, put tape over the spot where you're going to drill, measure 3 times, put the cover in place and make sure it's positioned to suit you, then drill your pilot hole very carefully.

Also - you DID search TB to see all of the discussions about this topic, right?????????