Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Putting on new string set

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by dhosek, Apr 19, 2001.

1. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    OK, I've got a set of new strings and want to restring my bass, but before I go at it, anything that I should watch out for beyond doing it one string at a time? I've never changed out a string set on DB before...

-dh

2. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    All I am gonna say is patience, grasshopper. Go slowly so you don't have to redo it. Make sure your string is seated properly in the tailpiece before winding it tight. Also, I have noticed that sometimes I get a string that doesn't want to wind around the tuning post...keeps slipping off...and i have found that if it slips off once, it will keep doing it until you get it to wind properly. I don't know what to do about that, but its a pain in the butt. Oh, and make sure you don't twist the string before its on the post...

3. First, measure the existing string length from nut to bridge, and write it down.
    With a small ruler and a SOFT lead pencil, mark the location of each corner of each bridge foot. Don't crack the varnish.
    Remove and replace one string at a time in this order: E,G,A,D. Don't bring the string up to pitch, but have tension on it.
    With a pencil, rub lead in the grooves of the nut and bridge before installing the string. The string will slide more easily. Not every body does this, but when all the strings are on, prior to tuning up, I tilt the bridge down slightly, so that as the tuner pulls up on the string, it doesn't pull the bridge so that it's pointing upwards.
    Tune from inside out, i.e., A,D,E,G. When you're up to pitch, measure the string length to see if the bridge has been tilted. Check your bridge feet. You'll have to do this over and over for a few days as the new string stretches