Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

putting on new strings and.........

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jkoc, Aug 3, 2002.

1. jkoc

jkoc

Jul 23, 2002
    STUPID question...

ok i put on new strings finally but the strings i bought seem short so the ends are like this.... (the blue ends...)

is this ok?? the strings i had before were long so the actual nickel strings wound around the pegs...

[​IMG]

2. jkoc, you did just fine. Your new strings probably just have more silk wrap than the old ones. As long as the silk doesn't go over the nut, you're fine!

--jeff

3. jkoc

jkoc

Jul 23, 2002
    oh so the silk wrap was meant for turning aroudn the bolt?

i always thought you were supposed to cut it all off

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

(just kidding :) ).

Check out this old BP article -- http://archive.bassplayer.com/gear/install.shtml

5. Yep, you did great. Some strings don't even have the silk wrapping. Eejit was right.:)

6. jbay

jbay

May 23, 2002
    Singapore
    Noticed that u dun wrap the strings round the machine heads much. Personally, I would try to wrap em down to the bottom. This causes the string to push down on the nut at a greater angle, with greater tension. It helps the bass to stay in tune, and also better sustain. Or at least I believe it does... :)

PS. of cos this applies to an angled headstock...