1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

putting on new strings "sounds easy"

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rick kimura, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Hi ! this is a great forum and a busy one at that . My Q is some times putting on strings & setting the saddles i notice this situation .
    1; the open shows 00 , the 12th shows 00 , the 24th shows 00 , but the frets in between are out ! EG; on the E string ill have open , 12th and 24th all perfectly in tune but G , A , and B will be flat . Is this the string ?
    2; Do majority of players adjust the saddles every time they replace strings ? or does a +3 / -3 not make for the effort to change it every time ?
    3; In general are players getting it in tune with 70% - 80% - 90% or more with the frets on their necks .
    Im questioning my pedanticity levels .
    thanks rick:hyper:

2. Others may show up with more technical and elaborate explanations, but suffice it to say that you will never get all frets perfectly in tune no matter what you do. There are a bunch of compromises like the Buzz Feiten system that may or may not get you a little closer, but nothing will get you all the way there.

I just took a check and I'm out by up to 4ish cents on some frets with the intonation perfect on the 12th and 24th. I haven't had to touch the saddles since I switched brands of strings last year and things are still dead on even with some seasonal tweaks of the truss rod.

3. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    I adjust my saddles maybe after 3 sets of strings. My intonation is great but it's always smart to check if everything sounds right and there no dead notes on the fret board. Hope this helps.

4. This issue of 'temperament' has plagued the music community for centuries. See here for more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_temperament

It means it is mathematically impossible for every note on every fret to exactly match every harmonic and every other fretted note on the fingerboard. Don't drive yourself crazy with this, just get it close.

5. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    I adjust my saddles every time I change a set of strings, unless I'm gigging so much where I just don't have the extra time (switched out a six string set once when I had an extra five minutes). I enjoy setting the action and intonation (so I'm probably sadistic in some regard).

I've been setting the intonation at the fifth fret and comparing that with the 17th. I have found, as many have said, that it gets closer than just using the harmonics at the 12th and 24th. It won't be perfect, but I find when I'm playing chords, it sounds better this way.

6. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    I've been setting the intonation at the fifth fret and comparing that with the 17th. I have found, as many have said, that it gets closer than just using the harmonics at the 12th and 24th. It won't be perfect, but I find when I'm playing chords, it sounds better this way.[/QUOTE]

I do this too. And with chords it does sound better with chords.

7. I do this too. And with chords it does sound better with chords.[/QUOTE]

Ill give this a try , though it then puts the open tuning out by +/- 2 but thats no big deal . Some times it comes real close to perfection and sometimes it dont . I can live with that . Thanks everybody much appreciated for the info .

8. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings

Ill give this a try , though it then puts the open tuning out by +/- 2 but thats no big deal . Some times it comes real close to perfection and sometimes it dont . I can live with that . Thanks everybody much appreciated for the info .[/QUOTE]

It all depends. I've been using a StroboFlip tuner for setting intonation, and usually take 45 minutes on average when I set it up. I also rarely use open strings, so for me it works better.

9. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    Usually when I change my strings my intonation is fine, but it is tedious so I get it as best as I can to make it in tune.

10. I find the SR4 not to be a drama ,as its pretty straight forward , but try doing a steinberger . The saddles are blocks which have to be manually moved back and forth , thats why i take more time to wipe it down after ive finished playing it so its gonna be longer between string changes . But after its done ,,,well worth the it . It is enjoyable if the time to do it is available .

11. I just tried your 5th and 17th method . Yes it works well , especially on the burger . Ill continue to use this way . Thanks for that and to everyone else who responded