1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Putting on rosin every 20 minuets. Help

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Sam Dingle, Oct 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    I've been finding I need to reapply rosin to my bow after about 20 minuets of constant playing. I noticed this recently.

I'm playing black horse hair and use pops rosin. Every day I try to do scales with the bow. Each day I take my bow out the hair is bone dry. I apply some more pops (about 4-7 strokes) and play. Today I played all my major scales and arpeggios up and down the neck. say from the F on the E string to the A on the G then up the g till I ran out of notes, back down, then to the F on the D string past thumb position etc. All 12 keys scales and arpeggios. I applied rosin 3 times as after 4 scales or so I found the bow was dry again.

How can I stop this from happening? I have friends who say they put rosin on the bow on monday and then again the next monday and do the same amount of practice. The bow is silk smooth by the next morning for me.

(Gear wise I'm using black horse hair that was rehired back in January, spirocore medium strings that are about 5 months old now, and a new cake of pops I bought a month and a half ago).

2. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

(Just spitballin' here...)
    1. Try melting the cake of rosin and be sure to STIR and mix the top layer into the bottom portion, as the top layer can dry out. (Do a search for this topic.)
    2. Maybe the cake was "old" (sitting on a shelf?) when you purchased it?
    3. Are you applying across the complete band (width) of hair? Do you apply ONLY from the Frog to Tip? I've had better results when I apply from Frog to Tip, AND then, Tip to Frog.
    4. Is the rosin powdering up on your strings? This is a sure sign of a dried-out cake. See #1 above.
    5. Before applying new rosin, try wiping the hair briskly from Tip - Frog and Frog - Tip, using a VERY Clean cloth. This helps remove Old, Dry Rosin, and the friction/heat invigorates the rosin already there. (Try it and see!)
    That's all I got.
    Good Luck.
    Thanks.

3. You have to reapply every 20 minuets?

Maybe play a tarantella or two?

4. the_Ryan

the_Ryan

Jul 10, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    I find this happens when I need a rehair as well.

salcott likes this.
  5. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Maybe he's taking ALL the repeats?

rickwolff and salcott like this.
  6. Jon Stefaniak

Jon Stefaniak Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    My thoughts are in line with others... Is it really dry or cold where you are playing? If the rosin is newish, it might be the hair or the weather.

7. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    Thanks for the tips, Don. My rosin is leaving powder on my bow and I have to re apply constantly. Now I can fix it and I didn't even have to start a new thread (thanks to the OP)

Don Kasper likes this.
  8. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I'd go for rehair.

9. slappahdabass

slappahdabass Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    Being in Louisiana, I would get a flea comb (small metal comb with fine teeth) from a pet store and get in the habit of combing your bow hair before and after you play every time. I found that the constant, eternal humidity there can make your bow glaze over a bit well before rehair time, and every swipe just adds to the glaze. The comb helps break everything up again.
    With a flea comb I was able to get a few extra months out of every rehair in Baton Rouge/New Orleans.

10. rickwolff

rickwolff ..Gear & Tone Junkie.. My Ignorance is Bliss. Supporting Member

AND it prevents your bow from spreading fleas to your bass (although termites are a bigger concern).

11. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    @bskts247 , did you ever figure out a solution to your issue?

bskts247 likes this.
  12. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    No it's weird. I went back to a different rosin then back to pops, found that i put a ton on the bow, played it down and now every day I just do 3 big brushes of pops on the bow and I'm good to go. It sticks, not too sticky but no quiet sliding affect. Forgot I had this issue honistlyb