Putting on Stage Shows..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DriveThruEmoKid, Nov 20, 2003.

1. My band has our first gig this saturday, and This will be my first actual show. All the bands that play there put on crazy stage shows, jumping around and going wild. Im not exactly the best at this, and when i do it in practice my drummer yells at me to stop swaying and to start going crazy. So, how can i put on a stage show without completely embarrasing myself in public?
  2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I like the kind of show where you (the performers)
    inner act with each other. I feel it is more important to sound great than jump around. Try to make lots of eye contact with the audience.
  3. Well I know that, but this is a hardcore show where everyone goes crazy. First off we arent hardcore, so this already starts us off with a disadvantage. My whole band is going to be going insane, and i dont want to be "swaying" upstage in front of everyone.
  4. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Let's go to Misc.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:
  5. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    If you don't feel comfortable performing, you better stick to recording or playing in your bedroom. People pay good money to be entertained by bands. You might be the greatest musicians in the world, but the visual aspect of a gig is just as important. Shoegazing bands are boring. You don't have to pogo all night, but you've gotta do more than "swaying". Pretend your shoes aren't nailed to the floor, move around, smile, make eye contact with the audience, bite your singer on the shoulder. Anything is better than shoegazing or "swaying".
  6. pretend you're playing for converge or dillinger :p
  7. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I guarantee success with this simple method;

1; Quickly grow your hair out so it covers your eyes. Then, brush down, parting in the middle. Preferably don't wash it for a couple of days. For extra points, add hi-lite streaks, maroon is good if you have dark hair, black if you're blonde.

2; Clothing. This is more important than you might think. Vintage T-shirts or anything you can find at Abercrombie & Fitch should work, just make sure it has a cool logo. Also, buy it a size small so its pretty tight on your arms and chest. For the pants, tight stonewash faded jeans are the only way to go. Sagging the pants is a form of art, ideally about 3 cm of your boxers should be visible, so, adjust depending on how tall your torso is.

3; Shoes and accessories. Go for dark skate/casual style shoes, nothing too flashy. Black or dark brown with up to one lighter accent color is good. For extra points go for genuine leather, the girls will definately notice. Belt, wristbands, piercings, etc.. Dark leather with a tasteful amount of studding should be good for the belt and wristbands. Piercings should be limited to one in each ear, preferably gauged plugs, OR, you can substitute with a lip piercing. Tattoos should be in a predictable "vintage" style, ie; stars in checkerboards with flames should be perfect.

4; Finally, the bass and accessories. Play a Stingray if you can afford one, a P-bass if you can't. Remember, playing with your fingers is for saps, a nice heavy gauge Dunlop pick will do the trick. Position the bass so that both your arms are fully extended when you're playing (ie, as low as you can). Playing a bass is more about looking cool anyways, so don't worry too much about note choice or execution.

Goodluck, Godspeed, Im out.
  8. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Well, first thing's first. Don't stand still. Walk around, explore the stage and more importantly, head over to where the audience is, and make lots of eye contact. Don't stay in one place unless you're playing a difficult section. Then, after a song or two when you've got your bearings, try adding a little bounce to your step, and go from there. Like Osama said, let the music move ya 'round!
  9. I'm the opposite of you. I can't help but jump around and mess about like a fool, I'm an energetic person, but the rest of my band don't (or did rather, coz we've kind of split)really have much stage antics.:(
  10. I disagree with all of the above posters. If everyone else in your band is going nuts, you can quite successfully be a statue for stark contrast, no movement at all. I'm serious here, it worked just fine for the Who and the Rolling Stones. Look at any video of the Who. Daltrey, Moon, and Townsend are going mental, but your eyes keep getting drawn back to the Ox. What's he doing? Nothing...zip, zilch, nada. Who was the biggest chick magnet in the Stones? Bill Wyman. What did he do on stage? Nothing... zip, zilch, nada. Being a performer is not necessarily about copying everyone else, and when the world is falling apart around you, you will be the Rock!
    Also be yourself... show 3cm of boxers? That's bull****, IMO.
  11. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    NOW THIS!... I agree with 100%.
    I was about to post the same thing but you saved me some time. Thanks!

Doesn't matter how f**kin' flashy you are if you can't fill your role in playing the music. C'mon it's your first show. Don't sweat it... try to PLAY every song well.
  12. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    If you want to put on more of a show, you have to have your music down splat. Can you play all of your songs without thinking about it? Can you play all your songs without looking at the fretboard? Can you sing along with the lyrics and not have it screw you up? Once you reach that point you'll be much less inhibited. Just keep practicing.
  13. I think you guys are forgetting (or not familiar with?) what kind of music he's playing. It's really a bit strange the amount of emphasis people in hardcore put on "moving around". For a lot of bands the sound truly is second to the show.
  14. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    um, do whatever feels comfortable. im a hardcore kid myself. i go to shows at least twice a week. i dont play in those shows, im only in a worship band right now, but i observe and video a lot. yes, everyone can be going crazy and you can be still. just dont stare at the floor the whole time. kick the guitar player in his sam area (his crotch) and scream a few of the lyrics every here and there. if you have moderately long hair, headbang a little, even while you are standing still. its just you and your music, the audience isnt there. its your first show, stage presence IS important. wear ur strap low and use a pick, it adds a little touch. (im not straightedge) just remember to have a great time. spit some water at your other band members between songs just to show you arent as shy as you may look. everyone loves seeing water particles being lit up by stage lights. it adds a very nice touch on tape too. just try to be yourself. do whatever, but make sure you are having fun. a really good band, who just recently broke up, they were called unto a blessed end...their bass player would just stand there and wouldnt movve at all. he was not hardcore at all even tho everyone else was complete chaos. it was great. i loved seeing them cause he would just stand there. he had short hair and wore glasses and giant outdoor boots and nice pants and a collared shirt. the point is, he was different but it helped the band stick out in my mind. i hope something in here makes since to you.
  15. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    See, I'm not the only one handing out this golden advice!!!

Oh, and I'm being facetious with both of my posts (since I apparently fooled some of you).
  16. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    the strap low is not necessary for hardcore/emo, just for punk or hardcore punk, or...just wear your strap how you normally do.
  17. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    "the strap low is not necessary for hardcore/emo, just for punk or hardcore punk, or...just wear your strap how you normally do."

My question is; what does a low strap accomplish, and why are you portraying it as "necessary" for punk or hardcore punk? (of course, I don't play that type of music, maybe I'm missing something?).
  18. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    yeah, you're missing something.
  19. As I read this,Dilinger's 43% Burnt started playing on my Winamp player.