Putting on weight

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by big daddy cool, Sep 1, 2002.

1. I was wondering how to overcome the problem of being underweight. Obviously I need to have my energy input at a higher level than my energy output, but I try really hard to do that and it doesn't seem to help.

I eat a lot... a hell of a lot and I don't do rediculous amounts of excercise so that it would use up all of that energy, so I'm kinda lost for ideas. I eat healthly usualy aswell as eating junk... I just don't know what to do.

Is there any advice you guys can give me, and is there anything that the Dr could or would do? I'm 6ft and only 135 pounds if that matters.
  2. Do MORE exercise. Bulk up. Gain muscle mass. Do lots of single rep-max weight type exercises. It's bring you up REAL fast. I took a semester of weight training, and went from 185, down to 170 (loss of fat) and back up to 210!!:eek: And this was all in the space of a semester, working out for 1 hour and 20 minutes 2-3 times a week.

Rock on
  3. eat late @ night.. just before you go to bed.. that's how i got my fat belly..

food doesn't digest well while you're asleep.. so it's all turned into fat.
  4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    eat pasta. all of the pasta that you can stand. and then even more after that.

pasta is almost all carbs. When you use what you need forenergy, all that is left is turned into weight. If you exercise and do weight training, then it will become muscle, not fat. And it gives you energy too.

I dunno if you have it where you are, but Lipton Noodle packets, which are noodles and sauce mix powder, are the best thing to eat if trying to gain weight. They also come in a wonder assortment of flavors.

They all have a cream based sauce, and they are delicious.

Eat those, exercise well, and you will bulk up quite nicely.

Well, it worked for me...

5. I have to disagree here, maxing out too often is hard on your joints and is more useful for gaining strength than muscle. To stimulate more muscle fibers, you have to do more reps. For someone that skinny, I'd recommend 4 - 6 reps, 2 - 3 sets per exercize.

Eat more. If you're not gaining weight, you're not eating enough. You should be eating at least 2700 calories per day (135lbs*20), more if your metabolism is high, and yours probably is, if you're already eating a lot. It doesn't matter how hard you train, if you're not eating enough, you won't grow.
    Good exercizes for gaining size are heavy compound movements, such as chin ups, dips, bench press, squats, deadlifts, bent over barbell rows, close grip bench press, barbell curls, dumbell shoulder press, leg curls, stiff legged deadlifts, calf raises, there's plenty more.

I can make a program for you if you want, I'm training a friend who's about your build, 6'2, 145lbs, so I could just give you his program.
  6. WhatsABass

Sep 1, 2002
    Lets See, i'm 16 yrs old, about 5foot 10 or 11, and weigh about 200 pounds....i do follow a workout program, although it can be tough with school, music and a part time job...

I CAN bench about 185 pounds, but i dont max out very often....

my only 'diet' is NO JUNK FOOD....i guess i eat a well balanced diet of meat, fruits and vegetables, and all that stuff, and as corny as it sounds, i drink alot of milk!!

i do a fairly intense workout, mostly involving benches, a bunch of different curls, lunges, and 15 minutes of skipping, as well as some other stuff...

i ramble alot, but the only advice to you is
    1)dont eat junk food
    2)Lift as much weight as you feel comfortable with, dont worry about maxing out too much
    3)Get some respiratory/cardiovascular exercises
    4)Eat LOTS of healthy foods
  7. Eat grilled cheese. Worked for me. Leftover chilli for breakfast with grilled cheese on top. Im huge.

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    I'll give you half of mine :)
  9. mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    im 19

5 foot 8 and 114lbs and my doctor says im plenty healthy why do ya feel the need to gain weight?

did you decide this without doctors orders?
  10. It's in the genes. I'm the same way. I'm 6'1 and I now way 152 lbs. I've started to put on a little bit of weight over the years. (I'm 26.) But I eat like crazy. I used to eat A LOT as a teenager, but I could never gain weight. I ate so much that everyone who knew me knew that I was a big eater. I worked out a lot and gained about 10lbs. I looked a lot bigger, but I never really was able to put on too much weight no matter how hard I tried. As soon as I stopped working out, my weight would always drop.

Like I said, it's in the genes. My younger brother is 17. He's almost 6'3 and he only weighs like 135 lbs. He's athletic, wiry, and can handle his own weight like nobody's business. But he's just skinny. From someone who's been in your position, let me say that you should be thankful that you don't have the opposite problem.

If you do want to gain weight, exercise and eat! Don't expect to bulk up too much, but with some weight training and a high carb/high protein diet, you might be able to put on anywhere from 10-20 lbs or more over the next couple of years.
  11. I had exactly the same problem when I was younger so I started lifting weights and it helped a lot. You will probably find that the more you work out the larger your appetite will be. If you plan on doing any weight training I agree with Ulyanov that 4-6 reps is good if you want to build mass (more reps for more definition). Also I HIGHLY recommend finding a workout partner, if you go with a friend it is a lot more fun, and if it isn't fun you probably won't end up sticking with it.
  12. You lucky, jammy b****d!!!! I'll let you have 30lbs that I'm trying to lose!!!!!

I think my problem was beer and fast food! But seriously, a lot of advice from a lot of guys that seem to know what they're talking about. Get a good high protein diet, pump iron a lot, and try to find a training partner - that way you'll get some friebdly competitiveness, and encouragement to go and train when you can't be bothered ('cos you'll feel you're letting someone else down!)

I trained with a friend who was training to get into the Reserve Marines in the UK. That was about as fit as I've been - my becnh press went from 60kg to 80kg in about 6 weeks!!! My body fat % went from 16.2% down to 15% - sadly it's up about 20% now!

I'm going to have to exercise a lot - and feel like I'm starving myself to get to the weight I want!
  13. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Be happy, Wait till you're 40 and you can't get the weight off. In high school I was 6'1" and weighed 145. 22 years later I'm 6"1' and 195.
  14. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX

hey bro, do like i did, get all stressed out and lose 20 lbs in less than 3 months! between the stress of my life right now and drinking a gallon of water a day (because of 3 kidney stones in the past 2 months), it seemed to vanish over night.

15. Shouldn't be hard, I'm kicking off divorce proceedings against my wife, and currently drinking about 3 litres of water a day! I'm also 'following' a diet, I reckon I've lost 5 lbs in about 3 weeks.

Now when I find time to exercise I know I can lose the rest of my 'love handles'!!;)
  16. Thanks very much for all the advice guys, special thanks to yourself Ulyanov.

I recon I'm just going to have to eat loads of pasta now and go to the gym more often.

The only real problem I have when I do reps of 4-6 and do about 4 sets is that it hardly takes any time at all and I feel like I might as well not have bothered going to the gym at all. Do you really think that that kind of programme will work well at building muscle fast?

17. Interesting. When I get really stressed out, I lose my appetite, and I lose weight quickly. But for women in general, don't they end up eating more and gaining weight in order to combat their stress? Or does that have to do with depression?
  18. It isn't about how many reps and sets you do, it's about how your muscles feel. Remember, the goal is to stimulate the muscles, not lift the weights. These are just general guide lines to begin with, you may find that your muscles respond to more or less reps and sets. Try different things to find out, if you feel sore the next day, you probably did something right. A word of warning though. There is a big difference between muscular soreness, and the pain of an injury. Soreness will go away somewhat, it will mostly only hurt at first and when you make changes. An injury won't, and if you think you have one, see a doctor.