Putting other "Names logos" on speaker Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by topcat2069, Aug 16, 2013.

1. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    I wish I had a picture, but back in the '701's I put a Chrysler Imperial (I was looking for parts at an Imperial wrecking yard for a '62 I had bought to restore) logo I had found on a speaker cab I was playing through. It was a JBL design and home made so I didn't feel it was wrong. Got a lot of questions about that.

I've also looked for Norge (washing Machine) logos on line but no luck so far....

Any body else done something like this ??

2. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

Sep 18, 2012
    A friend of mine used to have a 4x12 and a home-brewed amp head, both of which had "Aprilaire" air conditioner logos on them. He also got a lot of "dude, that sounds great! Where can I get an Aprilaire?!? Is that some boutique thing?"

Another friend replaced the backlit logo on one of his amps with a plate that said something along the lines of "if you're close enough to read this, you're too close to my gear."

3. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Years ago I knew a guy who played a Rickenbacker who had a Studebaker logo on his hardshell.

4. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    i put a metal skull n bones on my no name speaker grille once.
    just found the thing in parkin lot..i thnk it was a belt buckle or suttin.

5. MontanaBassDude

MontanaBassDude

Sep 20, 2011
    Volkswagen logo is on the corner of my 4x10 grill.

6. grey area

grey area

Sep 2, 2009
    almeria spain
    i had a POS amp of no fixed abode that i put a gladiator logo from a chair company on but the thing was so janky nobody asked where they could get one. i have a suzuki cruiser that is customized and has no suzuki badges on it but i have a rajdoot logo on it. rajdoot is an indian bike company that makes 125 cc mopeds.

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

If I build something MY name goes on it not someone else's.

8. If I bought something and feel I've done enough advertising for that company, I might 're-brand' it to my own name, or something I feel is appropriate. Is it wrong? I don't think so.

9. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    ~30 years ago I found an unused bright yellow warning sticker from the telephone company (back when there was only one, LOL!) that said "Out Of Order"...presumably they would put these on malfunctioning payphones, to cover the coinslot.

It fit perfectly over the logo on my Polytone MiniBrute amp! So it's been there ever since.

10. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    I usually remove any identifying logos or names from all my cabinets. I just think it looks cooler. I keep them though just in case I ever need to sell the cab some day.

11. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    My name is Ronald.
    I have an embroidered hoodie with the Roland logo with the L and N reversed.

Always wanted that on an amp / cab

12. Interesting. I wonder if I should take the GMC logo off my truck and put an Ampeg logo on it instead. Would be cool for people to ask me where they can get an Ampeg pickup truck.

I do believe Fender was making (branding) car radios for VW recently.

13. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I did this but ended up not finding them and selling anyway. So eventually, when I have built myself an endgame amp, I'd put all the accumulated logos on the front, it will trace the development of my sound culminating in that amp.

14. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    LOL, good idea ...

15. grey area

grey area

Sep 2, 2009
    almeria spain
    i had a mate in the early 70s who had a real thing against logos and he used to cut the levi,s tags of jeans etc. he stopped short of sanding the fender off his strat though so he lost his cred with us. he used to spout about lenin and marx also and now OWNS property in eastern europe. all property is theft? pah

16. I think it would be funny if someone had an 8x10 "fridge" cabinet and put a Maytag or Amana logo on it.

17. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I never put another name logo on a cab.
    But i have taken Logo tags off my gear.. For instance, my Aguilar GS112s x 4 ..
    I figured , i paid for them and didnt get them for free. So I figured why advertise for them . I was on a large "A" tour at the time.

My AR man from Columbia records once told me years ago, dont wear t shirts or products on stage with a Logo or name on it... Why give them free advertizement if they didnt compensate you in some way.
    Some how that stuck over the years and i still abide by his recommendation . Hated to admit it, but i can now, he was always right...

18. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Never bothered with doing a cab, but back in the day I did put a Peavey logo on my 1968 Marshall Super Lead to confuse thieves.

19. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    interesting thread.

I am having a 2x15 cab built by LDS to go with my recently acquired Fender Studio bass amp. The cab will be done up in Fender silverface like the head. I was thinking I would like to get a Fender tail-less logo to put on the cab.

Does anyone think that is a poor choice ? I mean, I have nothing but respect for Don and LDS, but I would like the amp and cab to have the same badge, even though the cab will not be a "real" Fender.

Thoughts ?

20. If I built a fEARful cab I'd put my logo on it- but I'd also put Dave's logo on it since it's his design. I also feel that a small-shop builder kind of deserves to have his name on his work. I have a different ethic about a big company which is by nature less about craftsmanship and more about a bottom-line. Might be a generalization, but I think it's generally true. Anyway a big company doesn't need me to advertise, and I'm less likely to be stepping on toes.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021