1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Putting others on ignore?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cosmicevan, Nov 16, 2018.

1. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    I joined talkbass a good 15 years ago, then kinda strayed to other hobbies and websites for a while before getting back into bass in a serious way again earlier this year...which brings me back here.

The climate on the internet has changed quite a bit in the last few years and although the internet has always been the internet, it seems to me that more and more people are really just out for a fight or to goad others into a fight...and to put it bluntly, put their a**holiness on display for all to see and to spread misery and suck others down to their level.

On other sites that I have participated in based on the same message board format, I found the best way to keep things positive and avoid getting pulled into an argument I don't want to have is to put those who regularly seem to write things that annoy me on ignore. It can make following threads a bit confusing since those folks are usually very vocal and fighting with anyone that they can in a thread and when ignored, you simply don't see their content without clicking on a link to show ignored content (which is easily missed).

Curious if anyone else uses this feature to hide away those who display troll-like behavior towards them or their ideals? I have found it highly effective in other communities to make people vanish out of your life and like mamma always said, nothing is more effective against someone like that then taking away the attention they so desperately seek. I have also noticed plenty of users showing a "banned" status on their avatar as well, so curious how heavy handed moderation is these days and what the best course of action is when you'd rather not make a fool of yourself on the internet by taking the bait and getting into a fight. I've found that taking the high road and not engaging is always the best move...not always the easiest to do, but always the right thing to do when in those situations.

2. Um... yes, I agree with you. ;)

GregC and cosmicevan like this.
  3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    This has been asked before - a while ago, now - and, if memory serves, the surprising answer was; not many people used it. And those of us who did, didn't usually leave people "ignored" for very long. Which, on the infrequent occasions that I use this handy feature, is what I do. For me, it's more of an aid to cool my temper, and keep me from saying something I'll wish I hadn't said. As for the moderators? I think they're very good about letting us know when we're getting close to the line, before they have to send us to the Naughty Corner. Personally? I've been warned once or twice - which, for me, is sufficient...:whistle:

4. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    The two people I did ignore on here ended up getting banned anyway, so the problem just resolved itself. On this site, anyway.

5. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    I don't use the ignore feature. I ignore them manually. ;)

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I take advantage of the ignore feature here. I am thankful the site owner and administrative staff make it available to us.

-Mike

7. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I went and looked at my ignore list.
    About 10% have been banned, so the moderators put them on perm-ignore, I just got there first...
    About 80% of the total (includes the banned...) have not logged in for 2 years or more - they seem to have left the community on their own.
    That still leaves a handful.
    Every so often I'll turn on the 'read ignored content' as an update. A couple are close to coming off my ignore list because either their form of expression or my acceptance has changed.
    A few I still choose to ignore.
    I expect I'm on a few ignore lists too.
    Sometimes I wonder if the mods have 'ignored' rankings and consult them as a heads-up on troublemakers. But I expect a cursory survey of content and responding to reported posts takes care of most of it...

RustyAxe and cosmicevan like this.
  8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I use the ignore feature. My list is pretty short, and it's mostly people who have gotten banned anyway.

I don't mind reading opinions from folks with whom I'm likely to disagree. The list serves me more as a self imposed obstacle against engaging with trolls.

I can almost always tell from the title, that a particular thread is going to attract everybody on my ignore list.

9. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I don't use it. Ignoring people is one of my special talents.

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    There was a Black Mirror episode where everyone has implants that let them block a person in their field of vision. You can't see or hear them but you see a blurry silhouette. The ignore function is the same way, so it's of no use to me. You block someone but you see that there's blocked content posted in a thread. If it blocked it entirely I might use it.

Nashrakh likes this.
  11. I can’t see this thread

12. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Ignore Amos [name changed to project the innocent]. That is all.

Fretless1! likes this.
  13. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Nah. When they say something especially stupid, I use it for my amusement (and the amusement of others).

ituobrey, dedpool1052 and S-Bigbottom like this.
  14. What ^ said.

15. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I've put a few on ignore. I don't see many posts saying they're from ignored members, so I figure it's not a big deal. They probably mostly move on to troll other boards. Ain't got time to worry about it.

the harp unstrung and slobake like this.
  16. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Ignore can be your friend.:bassist:

MJ5150 likes this.
  17. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I don't have anyone on my ignore list at all.
    As some one once said :- 'Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer'.

As for moderation, I think the mods here do a fine job. The rules are pretty clear and they are fairly enforced.
    There's often times I hold back on saying something here, knowing it'd break the rules, even though I really don't want to.

18. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

the only posts i've ignored are my own--- which hasn't stopped from offending others, accidentally.

here's one for you: sounds like you're backing into the room. :laugh:

seriously: glad you're back! have loads of fun! :thumbsup:

me too! :)

19. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I've never found someone so egregious I've felt the need to not see what they write. I suppose that is helped by not being particularly demonstrative or hard lined about my thoughts. I've disagreed with plenty of folks here. Sometimes I've even found a few so full of themselves as to be fertilizer with fingers. But those same folks have also written things I've genuinely found thought provoking or even, stop the presses, idea altering. I'll take the good with the bad. It just might help me become a better version of me.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  20. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Don't use ignore and do my best not to take the troll bait. Have blown it a couple of times and been given a black dot next to my name. There is at least one person here who used to annoy me that I have grown to really like. I won't tell you his name but his initials are @two fingers .
    Someone please say hi to @MJ5150 and @Gorn for me. :D

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018