putting pickguards on basses?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Jul 22, 2001.

1. I'm thinking of putting a pickguard on my PRS... it has a precision style body with j-style pickups.

Aside from what you think about how it looks (most of you hate pickguards), would there be any problems putting one on my bass?
  2. finding one that would fit might be a problem, otherwise i see no problem.
  3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    The only problem I see is that it will cost you twice; once when you do it and again should you decide to sell it. Years from now you may be kicking yourself in the a$$ for putting all those holes in an instrument that would bring a lot more money without them.
  4. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    do you really need a pickguard? Unless you're strummin' that bass, you probably wont scratch the finish with a pick while playing.
  5. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I agree. If you do get a pickguard, you can use some of that tape with glue on both sides and tape it there. Washburn does that with their XB2000 (i think it's called that) bass.
  6. btw, this is strictly an 'if I really wanted to' thing... I'd never put holes in my new baby. :cool:
  7. i think i need a pickguard... i have a wood finished bass and i got a bunch of scraches right above the E string, it kinda makes me mad but i'm learning not to play as hard... and i couldn't find a pickguard that would fit the place that got scrached, oh well, :) as soon as i more money then i'm gettin a new one..
  8. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    My old roomate was a cabinet maker. We spent hours making a nice pickguard for my Old Aria bass, (mostly to cover up the scars from a P/J to single soapbar set-up). The pickguard was made out of superthin composit veener and we spent at least 6 hours to get it perfect. Anyway, in the end it really took a toll on the sound, it shortened the sustain and sucked a lot of bass from the signal. I took it of in a month, my roomate was pissed. Oh yeah we only used a water-soluable glue to adhere it on