1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Putting the spark back in/Spontaneous Jam

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Birdland11, Jul 20, 2012.

1. You can never underestimate spontaneous jamming. It is a great way to come up with new ideas! I would love to see you guys record and post your own! I know this site is called "TalkBass" but lets stop talking and start playing!!!!!!!

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    The bass part on the opening track off our LP was done in one spontaneous take, right off the top on my head. We liked it so much we developed the song around it.
    Click on my sig to go to our Bandcamp. First track "A Glitch in our Design"

3. Its a great tool. Sometimes mistakes turn into songs too.

4. Hell Yeah! Nice work

5. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I jam with three other guys every week. We are purely spontaneous, and have had some of the ideas stick and kinda become standards to us. But, most of the time we kinda sit there and wait until someone just hits on an idea. Then, everyone joins in, and the thing might go on for twenty minutes before we run out of ideas for that one. Then, another pause to rethink. It's very refreshing after just playing regular gigs. It has also shown me that I can come up with some interesting bass lines, and it illustrates just how much influence the bass part has on the whole band.

6. LayDownABoogie

LayDownABoogie

Jan 3, 2012
    Cheers. Excuse the angle.. and the poor sound.

Your vids always come across well. I particularly liked your "can't hold no groove" lesson.

7. Thank you sir

8. Popbumper

Popbumper

Jul 19, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I worked with a guitarist some six months back and we met weekly for a while, in the same vein. What was interesting was that he did not offer up anything original for me to complement, rather letting me drive the effort through bass lines that I had come up with between visits, or on the spot. We laid down a number of complementary tracks, and it was a very worthwhile experience. Influence if the bass part - indeed!