Putting together a band... what a pain...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Reggae Eric, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Reggae Eric

Reggae Eric

Jun 24, 2005
    Maybe I live in a musically depressed area... I am having the hardest time finding people who want to play music. Perhaps it is the style... Jack Johnson, Ben Harper, DMB, Neil Young, etc. Most of the bands around here are either 80's hair band covers or satisfied playing in a garage...

I do play in a Praise and Worship band, however, church is as far as most of them want to venture out... -sigh-

I did join a hard rock band for about 2 months, just to play and meet people... That ended up being a dead end.

I tried working with some younger guys (early 20's... I'm 33) After two practices the drummer's wife was coming into practice telling and screaming about stupid stuff... so that did not work. Plus the guitar player thought that if you play for money you are a "sell out" and part of the "corporate RIAA monster". ***? :rollno:

My goals are simple... Practice like a mofo!!! and take it on the road... simple right?

Oh well... Just thought I would "blah, blah" to feel better...
  2. I would love to be in a band like that. Jack Johnson is awesome.

Too bad I'm in Canada. And I imagine you already have a bass player ... :rolleyes:
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's sooo hard, and yes it may actually be the style. People for some reason don't want to do anything that's outside of the scene. But it's those bands that step outside of the box who leave the scene and become more. Good luck.
  4. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    This is so true, yet so hard to find 4 musicians willing to take that risk...at least around me anyways.
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Sometimes I think the very best way to get a band started is to move to an area where there are lots of musicians who are seeking to be professionals and have the burning desire to play, gig, record and tour. You may have to actually leave your present town to find that combination of like-minded musicans.

I lived in Nashville five years. That town and its neighboring areas are chock full of hungry musicans who want to go the whole way and not just fool around with the same old, same old music. They will latch on to any other musicians whom they believe have a winning combination or idea that will lift them above the common place bar band gigs or garage jams.

Of course, that means a huge sacrifice to pull up stakes and strike out for a new place to live, but you have to decide how badly you want to achieve your dream and where are the best chances of achieving it.

That said, plenty of musicans fail badly in Nashville. The competition is stunningly fiercebecause the area is a magnet for incredibly talented musicians. But you seem to have discovered that staying where you are is not furthering your dream.
  6. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I too would love to play in the band.DMB,Ben Harper and JJ all pwn!
  7. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    The band I have been playing with for the last few months is not progressing as well as I would like. None of us are playing/singing at the level we used to. Our drummer(at whose house we practice) has just been invited to record with, and probably end up joining another band.( one that plays the stuff you are interested in) I told him to just bring the other band over and we can blend them. No can do...because of me. The other bands lead singer and bassist are brothers.

Dammit. :rollno:
  8. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Don't give up. My average time to find a musical project to get involved in seems to be about 3-4 months and this is in London, which has a lot of music going on (maybe not quite the same vibe as Nashville but I can't complain about it being barren).

On the other hand, don't be too rigid. Right now I'm thriving in the 'Teeth and really enjoying the open mic scene they've introduced me to - a whole approach to music that I had no first hand experience of until last summer. You think you know what you want to do but don't be afraid to try a few things outside your box. They could open up a whole new world of opportunities and ideas to you.

9. Peeted

Jun 20, 2004
    i find the worst thing is finding a decent prac room that doesnt cost an arm and a leg. finding decent musicians who arnt allready in bands is a pain too though.
  10. Reggae Eric

Reggae Eric

Jun 24, 2005
    I hear what you guys are saying... I am only 2 hours away from Nashville and 4 hours from Atlanta. Maybe there is a way to get something going.

The hard rock band I joined was out of the box. here were just too many issues + I was driving an hour one way to play. I don't mind the drive, however, I would like to enjoy what playing the music and not dealing with egos and "god" complex of other members... :(

I am practicing like crazy working on technique, scales, modes, reading skills, ear training.

Sometimes I feel like the poster child for those who screwed around and did not peruse their musical passion when they were younger. Before you know it there is a wife and kids and mortgage and debt and job and bills. Then you wake up 15 years later and say ***!!! Don't get me wrong... I love my wife and kids, but not following your passion or dreams will haunt you.

It is funny (in a sick way) my wife is going through the same thing with her acting and theater career. After a 12 year "break" she finally realized acting is here passion so now she has got an acting coach from New York and just did here 2nd movie audition this month.

This is a good convo...