1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

putting together a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flawed, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Flawed

Flawed

May 29, 2008
    it seems that every month or so i find some kind of new bass that i want and immediatley start fantasizing about it for weeks. I didn't even know what gas WAS before i found this place.

i decided the best cure, for my gas and my wallet, might be to try and put my own bass together. I have been looking at sites like warmoth and such and I have a couple questions before i really get going.

for those of you who have gone this same road ... is it really cheaper than getting a factory bass? is it too difficult? (i have virtually no experience in the wood shop, i can use most power tools compentantly, but havn't ever done anything like this) is it cheaper to have them finish it for me or is it relatively easy to finish it myself? is this even the right way to go in the first place?

I would appreciate the benefit of your experience if you choose to share

thanks

rob

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I build or modify all of my basses.

check out my web site link.

Building your own basses can be very satisfying and also frustrating. But it is one way to get the bass you want. You can buy bodies, necks, pickups and other parts on ebay. You can buy kit basses or get a SX and hot rod it. There are many good options these days.

3. No, not at all. Generally, it costs more to completely build your own bass than it would be to buy something similar already made. If we're talking Warmoth or USACG bodies and necks, they ain't cheap. Obviously if you can do everything yourself, such as pickups, fret job if needed, and installation of hardware you'll save money over someone who would have to pay to have these things done.