Putting together a drumset soon.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Nov 25, 2003.

1. And I am looking for people who know what products are good and which to avoid. I'll list below what I am trying to get used, and if you could recomend a brand a name or anything I could go from there.

Full sized bass drum.
    2 Toms.
    Floor tom.
    Double bass pedal.
    Cymbals(i'm going to try to get sabians.)
    And hardware.

If anyone has anything they would like to recomend, it would be appreciated.

Oh, also if suitable prices could be listed for what I could get used. That would also help.;)
  2. mdsfjkga55

Nov 2, 2003
    The pearl export is probably the best kit available for the money. I would get it new, costs around 700-900 depending on the model (shellpack and hardware). You could always get the cymbals used, and sabian is a very good choice.

as far as prices go, most good brand (pearl, tama, pacific) entry level kits range from 400-600$. The next level up is usually 600-1200$ and it keeps going on and on.

In the end, to the non drummer, pretty much all kits sound the same with the right tuning and kickass drumheads (i reccomend remo) and a skilled player.

80% of drumsets come with shells, hardware and some ****ty ass heads. Some (usually entry level kits) come with starter cymbals. I suggest getting the kit that suits you best, than buying some nice remo emporer/pinstripe heads, and sabian cymbals. You will have yourself a nice kit.

As far as buying used stuff goes, i would get the kit (shells and hardware) new, but thats just my opinion. Cymbals can always be gotten used and in good condition.

edit: you would probably want to get a standard rock kit, that comes with 22" x 16" bass, 12" x 10" and 13" x 11" rack toms, 16" x 16" floor tom, and a 5-1/2" x 14" snare. You could always go fusion (jazz) also, and thats exactly the same but different size drums.
  3. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    What would i Recomend?

Pearl Exports...
    Easier to get add on parts, very great finishes. The greatest customer support known to earth.. and they have a drum forum the size of talkbass.

Cymbal wise, I really like Sabians as well.
    Try to get AA or AAX's dont fool around with b8's.
    If your on a budget, thats okay, go for the b8's or pro's or pro sonix..but your best bet in quality and sound would be in AA and AAX's which aren't too expensive.

Also.......get FUSION SIZES!!! I cant stress that enough.

With stage or rock sizes (12,13,16) The tuning, is screwy and you dont have as many options.
    With 10, 12,14 (fusion sizes).. you have alot more options, by being able to tune in 4ths.

I play sonor drums, but I support Pearl all the way, and play Pearl hardware and pedals.
    Pedal wise, I use a Pearl Powershifter, which has interchangable cams, that give you a different feel.
    Its sorta like a bass with interchangable necks. =) very awesome.
    It comes with a gig bag, but it's a little pricey.

I hope you have fun drumming though.
    Its my life, and what I do for a living now.

As far as bass playing goes. I actaully compose some of our songs on bass. I never write on guitar.. I can..but I feel more.......melodic, on a bass.
    I dont come here much anymore, but I do come here everyday and lurke. Just to see whatsup.
  4. Our drummer uses Sabian cymbals, and a Pearl Export kit with Remo heads. He was so darn lucky, bought his whole kit off some rich kid (not including the cymbals which he uprgaded) for...£50!!!

He seems to like it, and he always says how good it is...and he said they're fairly common on the used market.
  5. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I started out on drumms WAY back when I was a kid, and although I switched to bass a long time ago, I do still play and am on top of the gear trends, etc. I was a fan of the Pearl Export series, and it is what I started out on. However, I believe that there are now two tiers to the Export series...a true "entry" level kit and one that is a step above. These are a pretty good deal considering what you get for the money....set of drums, full set of hardware, etc. Pacific drums made by DW are also very good, and if you can find a used set that was made a couple of years ago, you might have a very good deal, as the quality of the early sets were considered to be a step above where things are at right now...which is still pretty good. However, if you want more tone and performance than the bare-bones entry leverl set can provide, you might also want to look into one of the many small custom shell makers who have popped up lately like Connoley, Phattie, etc. These guys offer great deals, but you'll still have to get your hardware and cymbals.
    As for hardware, just about any major brand is good-just keep it all consistent: Pearl, Yamaha, DW, Tama. Personally, I SWEAR buy Paiste signature cymbals, but this will probably be out of your price range. However, Paiste has recently expanded its cymbal line using its signature alloy for many mid-level and entry level priced cymbals. These would all be excellent choices. Of course, the ole' standby Zildjian A series are also a good choice.
    Good luck with buying your set! ;)