1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Putting together a new band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BobWestbrook, Apr 28, 2010.

1. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    This is the first time I've tried this, putting together a band. It's entirely from CL ad. We are all middle-agish, and it's a Christian band.

First meeting we had singer, guitarist, drummer, keyboards, and me on bass - a good start, I'd say. Everyone seemed enthused.

But now the guitarist is out (not his style of music) and the singer (too busy schedule). Too bad - he was a TERRIFIC singer.

I know this is typical of the ebb and flow of starting a band - I'm not discouraged by it. I believe the right people will come along.

2. Well, think of it this way...you have two of the toughest parts to garner already, bassist and drummer. I hate that you've lost a good singer, but someone will step up for ya, as well as a guitarist.

Good luck!

3. work on the stuff you can in the meantime.....it will probably easier to add personel one at a time than to find them all at once

4. Don't be discouraged. I just recently formed a side project with a friend where the original singer was incredible but couldn't really commit. We found a replacement within a week or two and he's even better than the first guy. It really is annoying how hard it is to find a good singer sometimes but it's really worth the wait.

5. You're way ahead of the curve, I would say. I've been looking for a band for quite some time now via craigslist, to no avail. Keep you head up.

6. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

The more stuff you have in advance polished and ready.. the easier it is..

Name.. logo.. set lists.. material.. brochures.. contracts etc...

A player sick of amature bands will clammor to join.. othewise it's just another average craigslist posting

7. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Thanks for the encouragement and the advice!

Now we have a new guitarist and new singer who responded to the CL ads, and I'm quite happy with them, thank God! I guess that's an advantage of having Divine assistance in recruiting for the band, since it's His band :)

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Keep at it. The right guys will come along. Congrats and have fun.

9. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Update - now that it's been 21 months since I started the band, putting the right people in place has been an interesting experience. But now we do have a great group of people - dedicated, skilled, mature, easy to work with, and fun to be around.

Getting there has required a lot of patience and persistence. Among the ex-members who lasted any length of time are 3 drummers, a guitar player, and a keyboard player.

In some ways, because we are a band whose members don't get paid, it's been helpful in attracting quality people who are in it for the right motives and whose expectations are in line with what we are doing.

It's been rather amazing how each time we lost someone, the replacement is a better fit. I thank God for His oversight in putting the whole thing together.