1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Putting up gig flyers in Queens NYC. Advice?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by AgressivePassiv, Jun 4, 2014.

1. AgressivePassiv

AgressivePassiv

Feb 3, 2011
    Hey Brothers and Sisters, My band is playing our first show in Queens in a couple of weeks. At Blackthorn 51 in Elmhurst. Does anyone from/who's played the area have any suggestions for where to leave/hang flyers? We play original rock/punk/grunge/blues type stuff.

Our music can get heavy but we're sharing the bill with bands that are mostly heavier than us and as soon as the live bands are done the place will switch over to a vampire themed DJ night with Burlesque snake dancers. So where do I concentrate my efforts to reach people who would appreciate that?

Record stores? Coffee shops? Witchcraft supply stores? Blood banks? Church group hang outs?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1401918447.169000.

2. sparkyfender2

sparkyfender2

Nov 25, 2013
    A vampire themed DJ night with burlesque snake dancers sounds intriguing.........

Keep us informed.

Good luck!

3. AgressivePassiv

AgressivePassiv

Feb 3, 2011
    Will do!

4. pipFunk

pipFunk

Feb 1, 2005
    You know, I've been thinking about this for a while now, and I wonder if there's really an awful lot of point in posting flyers and stuff in an area where you're not known? I don't know how often you see a flyer for a band, make a note of their name and go home to check them out, on the off chance you may fancy going to a place you don't know to see them, but for me it's not often... Unless you get some kind of "come on", like a free drink, on presentation of the flyer, I don't even know how you would measure the success of this kind of approach?

On the other hand, if there's a band I see at one of the venues I go to, and they've got their business card or small flyers on the bar and dotted around in the toilets and so on, I'll often pick up that and check them out on-line later, and I wonder if that's not a better way to build your fan base.

It looks like Blackthorn 51 has a pretty heavy theme going on, and has been open for about a year, so they should have an established support base by now. Based on the bands listed on their reverbnation page, I guess you'd fit with the audience they are trying to attract? The capacity is just 200 and they claim they've just got a brand new PA and a brand new stage, though that may well e their copy from last year. There are just 8 gigs listed between now and 17th August, and their Yelp entry has some pretty mixed reviews, both from the band's side and the customers. My favourite: "A local bar and music venue just opened up in Elmhurst for people who ride motorcycles and like to wear black leather vests with rivets." :thumbsup:

Let us know how you get on!

5. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    Leave them on Telephone polls and street lights just don't be seen by police doing it :)

6. KingKrabb

KingKrabb

May 9, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    You can go to shows for local bands with a similar sound. Go there, have a good time, socialize and hand out some flyers. Talk to people.

"Hey man, there's gonna be this show at blah blah, It's gonna be pretty cool; you should swing by."

Whatever you come up with at the time. Let em know the place, the time and the type of music.
    If there's an open bar thing/ happy hour, I've found, also helps. lol

Best of luck to you!

7. AgressivePassiv

AgressivePassiv

Feb 3, 2011
    Good advice guys. I'm going to a show at blackthorn a week before mine to scope out the place and talk up my show. Gonna look up some local record stores and leave some mini flyers in my wake.

Still if anyone from the area has any places they suggest I leave flyers(since they're printed already) any advice would be appreciated.