Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Putting Wheels on the bottom of my amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dunivan, Jan 7, 2004.

1. dunivan

dunivan

Jul 3, 2003
    Ft. Myers, FL
    endorsing artist: knucklehead strings
    I have recently gotten a behringer 1200 bass amp, and find it quite annoying to lug all 62 pounds of it to shows...would it be wise to put wheels on the bottom: The amp is shaped like so-

|
    \
    ----

If i were to put wheels on the bottom, would it affect the amps ability to lean back on the little indentation?

dunivan

2. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Yes, unless you use pop-out casters

Another option is to use a dolly board.
    Make a platform big enough so set your amp on and put the caers on the board instead of you amp.

I have a dolly board for my cab(s)and it doubles(gets worked to death) as a PA mover.

3. I've got the same problem with my 400+

I was thinking of looking into a rack, that i could install wheels on. Anyone have any suggestions as to how i'd work this?

4. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    I bought my amp used and the previous user installed wheels on the bottom of it.

During a gig, after amp had been thrown on and off stage, one of the screws holding the wheel in place went missing. I wouldnt have been a problem but the wheels were held on by only 2 screws. So it cause the reminding screw to be ripped out of the wood.

Since then, I took the orginal wheels off. I found some scrap plywood and had it cut to the same size as the bottom of my amp and put the wheels on that instead of the amp itself.

I dont suggust installing wheels on the bottom of the amp because of my experiences. I would also suggest using a dolly board instead.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    As a variation to castors on the amp or a dolly board, how about a hand truck? I bought a folding hand truck at The Home Depot for something like $60. It's great to have around for hauling gear and other chores. It folds flat to about 2 - 3 in. thick so it's easy to fit in the car after the gear is loaded in.

6. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Oops just saw Billy B's post. I use a handtruck also, and I believe their is a product called the Rock Kart. A hand truck can also be used for other chores such as moving PA cabs etc. and they start at about $20. They also work well going down stairs where moving dollies don't. I have one with pneumatic tires and have moved complete 350 chevy long blocks with it. :D

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I have a big one with pneumatic tires too... My house has a walkout basement so the soft tires help me roll up the hill in my side yard. Unfortunately, it's too big to fit in the car with all my gear...

So I bought one similar to these...

http://www.industromart.com/folding.htm

Sam Ash sells them too but they were about $30 more at Sam Ash than at The Home Depot.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've always been a fan of pop-out casters, but with my Aguilar 4x10's they keep failing. The brass rings that keep the wheel shaft tight in the cab keep loosening, so the wheels keep falling out with bad timing. Still fail despite frequent re-tightening and occassional replacement. Very frustrating. I ended up permanently mounting larger heavy duty wheels to the bottoms of the cabs, using blocks, which have done the trick nicely, but they limit me to stacking the cabs on their sides instead of upright as I'd prefer.

9. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Exactly. I've had this problem too and due to dunavan's need for tilt back option I don't think they would be very useful.
    These are the best removable casters I've seen but quite pricey:
    http://www.justcases.com/sccasters.html

10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Check out your warranty! I recommend the removable casters but adding them may void your warranty.

11. While pop out casters would probably be bad on a tilt back amp, the only problem the Ernie Ball casters have given me is that the wheels have split. I figure after about 5 years of hauling around 90 some odd pounds and sometimes double that, another set at $25 or so is well worth it.

12. dunivan

dunivan

Jul 3, 2003
    Ft. Myers, FL
    endorsing artist: knucklehead strings
    after reading the replies, the wheels are a def. no no..

a removable dolly board would work....

do hand trucks get really compact, i have a 98 mazda protege, and play house parties, so bringing the truck would be a huge plus.

any takes on that

thanks again

dunivan

13. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    some get a little smaller and some fold up really small. There was a good thread on this a month or so ago. If that's all you have to haul around and could be gentle on the hand truck, there's an inexpensive folding hand truck that you can find in the large home centers for aroun $30-$35. There is a really good version of it at other places for around $100 i think.

Maybe you can search out that thread for more info.

14. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I use a folding cart from Target that cost $30 or so. It folds really flat and is covered with black vinyl (and yellow trim)...holds up to 150 lbs, I think and much sturdier than typical luggage carts. I found it by the step ladders rather than with the luggage.

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You're right I couldn't find a good place to put the casters on my wedge shaped cabs. So I made a dolly and it works great most of the time. The problem is stairs (all too common here). You can only wheel it as far as the staircase. Then you've gotta pick up the cab and carry it, but that's not the problem. The problem is that you can't carry the cab and the dolly up the stairs in one trip. So while you're carrying the cab, you have to be very careful not to leave the dolly where an unsuspecting person is going to step on it and go for an unexpected skateboard ride that is likely to end with an injury.