Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

puzzling problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tuBass, Dec 31, 2004.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I'm a litte stumped on the setup problems I'm having. I'm usually pretty good at setting action and intonation, but my Yamaha BBG5S is giving me fits.
    The neck looks like it has the perfect relief, and the inotnation is really good on open strings, and on open strings, but it's very sharp around the 3rd to 4th fret, like 10 cents sharp. Since the action looks and feels good, and the 12th fret is in tune, I'm not sure what to touch.

Any suggestions?

2. is the harmonic of the string intune with the fretted note? if not, make it intune, and your problems should be solved. or you can try to intonate it at the 19th fret after the 12th is done.

3. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Yes, it's perfectly in tune...

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Odds are your nut is too high. Put a capo on at the first fret. Retune as needed, and reset the intonation as needed. If the bass plays in tune on the low frets when capoed at the first fret, then the nut is the problem.

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Interesting theory, but why would it get that way in the last couple of months? It used to be fine, and I haven't touched the nut.

6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Than I can only suggest that your intonation is not set correctly or you have dead strings.

7. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    The strings are only a few weeks old, but I guess I could change them and see what happens. I was wondering if strings could cause this problem, because I didn't notice the problem until after I put them on, but I've NEVER had a problem like this with Slowounds before.

Man, I will hate pulling off new strings...

8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Did you change string guage?

9. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I'm not sure, I lost track of what I had there before, I think they were DR's of some kind. Probably Fat beams.