Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PV Millennium neck P/U nails a P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tim oconnor, Oct 30, 2004.

1. I recently bought fellow TB'er - Blues Bass 2's Peavey Millennium US 5. IMHO it truly seems to nail the P-Bass sound w/the neck P/U soloed! I have 2 older Fender P-Basses and I can't get over how clear it seems to be!! I'm pleasantly surprised that I now have a 5 string P and more w/the versatility of the mid sweep and MM HB bridge p/u (sounds great blended too). The B isn't shabby either, very well balanced bass. And the price was as someone posted on the ad "obscene" (low).

Anyone else have a Millennium that have soloed the neck P/U and can confirm this? I know what I'm hearing but still having a hard time believing it myself!

2. I know it was my bass but I agree. It really did nail the P bass sound with my blues band.I bought an Am.Deluxe Jazz when I joined the band I'm in to get a more traditional Fender tone but discovered the Millenium did it better.A Peavey that out Fenders a Fender?Who would have guessed. Thanks again Tim.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Does the neck pickup on the five have a decent output? The neck pickup on my USA Millennium four is so weak that i never con sidered soloing it.

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey George,

What replaced the Millennium? I never thought that you would let that one go.

5. Hey Charles,haven't heard from you for a while.I'm playing my old 80's Guild Pilot 5 string.I turned a couple of my bass cabinets into PA speakers and needed a stand alone cabinet so I had to sell one of my basses.The Pilot has a very sweet sound and plays great.It's not as versitile as the Millenium or as powerful sounding but it sits well with my band.I still think the Millenium is the best overall bass I've played,I'll be kicking myself later for selling it.

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    It has been a while George and I'm still hanging on to Violet. :) Well, I hope that your changes work out for the best.

7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    A non-P that can P? I sure hope not. Oh well, the P will always be here shaking booties anyway :cool: .

8. I really wasn't expecting it to play AND sound as well as it does.
    Thanks again, again George!

9. The neck p/u has less output but I wouldn't say it's too weak to use - turn your amp up if needed or lower the bridge p/u if you're concerned about the output balance. P-basses are passive and the output on the millennium neck p/u (w/o boosting the EQ to extreme) is about the same which makes it work. It hit me like a hammer when I did it! I realized tonight the settings used is to turn the concentric mid knobs about an 1/8 of the way on which is very little and actually a cut. The mids are already there naturally. Bass and treble flat and Voila, P-Bass!!

10. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i cant confirm this...but i did own a millennium US 5 once. I traded it for a better bass that i really love but i miss that millennium. im gonna buy it back some day. i have no choice. i just needed to vent that out.

[​IMG]

im so sorry baby. :bawl: