Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PVC practice bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ubasshudson, Jun 16, 2004.

1. For you duct tape and hot glue guys. I made a bowable double bass out of PVC pipe. I had some 4 inch diameter PVC pipe to use as a clothes dryer vent. I measured my DB nut to bridge distance and added about 9 extra inches, then cut the pipe. I drilled four, small holes about 1 inch from the end ( as far apart as my DB strings). Then another set of holes about 8 inches from the other end ( same distance apart). To make the nut and bridge, I sliced a thin circle of pipe about 1/4 inch wide off of the end. I then split the circle in two and searched the tool shed for strings. Round, green, weed whacker string was available. Tie a knot in one end of the string and thread it into the tail piece end of the pipe (knot inside the pipe). Wedge one of the half circle pieces under the WW string for the bridge, thread the string over the other half circle for the nut and down into the corresponding hole on the other end. Drill a 5/16 inch hole about 2 inches past the E string nut hole. Drill a 5/16 inch hole about 4 inches past the A string nut hole. Drill a 5/16 inch hole about 6 inches past the D string nut hole. Drill a 5/16 inch hole about 8 inches past the G string nut hole. I got four 5/16 inch eye bolts with about 2 inches of thread and drilled a hole for the string about 1/2 inch from the eye. I threaded on a 5/16 inch nut and washer then stuck the threaded end into each hole on the pipe. the string goes through drilled hole on the eye bolt then a washer and a wing nut are threaded on. Turn the G eye bolt to the highest pitch that the string can sustain (I use a screw driver for leverage) and tighten the wing nut. Tune down from that pitch. I use a well Pops rosined violin bow and a light touch on mine to avoid grounding out on the close fingerboard. The volume is audible for the player but a whisper for other listeners. Pizzicato and harmonics are all there. It is fun to sit and play. I sit in an easy chair and noodle around in thumb position. My teen boys are DB and slab players also and think it is a hoot. Have fun. Tom

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You know you must post pics of that beast!!!

3. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Yes, you simply must post picts.

4. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    I gots to se this thang.

az

6. Nick Ara

Nick Ara

Jul 22, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Ditto! Pix from several angles would be great! Right now, I travel with a Fender ABG. Not even close to playing DB.