Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PX3B Owners and Headphones

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Feb 21, 2001.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Well, I did it. This morning, I blew up the AKG headphones Ibought specifically for use with the ToneWorks PX3B. Do the headphones you use with the "cheese box" give you undistorted bass and hold up okay? Which make/model are they?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!

2. rickbass

Radio Shack amazes me sometimes. For instance, they have instrument cables with 24k gold 1/4" jacks (the kind I like).

Thanks Xavier. Hope to get up your way again this summer...; the Symphony on top of the mountain at Whistler; Thai food in Gastown, yummmmm....

3. Hey Rickbass

I can also get a distorted sound from my AKG headphones when listening to my bass but they sound OK with CD/tapes etc . I've found if I turn down the vol on the bass (active pickups) that this reduces the distortion even at high volumes. Perhaps you could run your bass through another 'box' like say a drum machine then into the pandora. Use the first box to adjust the gain. Just a thought anyway, worth a shot. C-ya and keep groovin.

Ben

4. rickbass

Thanks, Ben. I usually just back off the volume on the Pandora. My bass with actives seems to lose some fullness when I back of on its volume.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Rick -

I use a pair of (insert drumroll here)....

...Radio Shack headphones!

To be specific, the ones they tout as being those that are used at the R&R hall of fame (the Pro 40's). Cost me $40, and sound great, and I keep my bass' volume cranked (EMG p/u's and 3 band active tone), nary a sign of distortion, even when I beat the snot out of the strings slapping. Got that nice 1/4" gold connector you like and everything. Sounds like them expensive brand-name headphones are not all they're cracked up to be...

...by the way, we have been using AKG 'phones in a recording studio recently (can't remember the model), and I was completely UNDERWHELMED by them :rolleyes:...I started bringing my RS ones in instead.

6. rickbass

Gard- Looks like I'll be giving my address, phone number, date of birth, favorite foods, credit history, names of pets, etc. soon (in other words, back to the Shack).

I thought the world of strings was full of voodoo and BS, but I now think it pales in comparison to the headphone realm. One time I was in the studio and I went through 3 pairs of Sennheisers, miked in a booth. I didn't dare ask the engineer what they cost (came out of their pockets anyway). Some reviews I read on web by people who sound like they are really into recording gear said that they don't find a significant audible difference in most headphones where the prices differ less than $80 or so. They seem to feel the main difference is in comfort.

I'm surprised to hear someone who plays with sophisticated artists, such as Puente, beats "the snot" out of his instrument! I figured you'd be one of these Oscar Cartaya types, skating gracefully across the strings.

Thanks!

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Ah, Rick, you must read CAREFULLY, I don't play with Tito Sr (as he's sadly no longer with us :(), I play with Tito JR! When I'm working with Tito, junior of course, we do quite a bit of his fathers material, but his stuff is a bit more.....modern. He does a lot of stuff that has definite house and dance music elements. In addition to that, believe it or not, he was actually the drummer for Sepultura :)eek: :eek: ) for a short time, so he digs a lotta different stuff.

Also, Tito Jr's band is it's own entity as well, Rico Monaco & Sol Sons, a very strongly Santana influenced latin rock band (http://www.ricomonaco.com). So I'm fully capable of rockin' out a bit, when the time calls for it :D.

Oh, and just cuz I "beat the snot" outta my bass at times, don't think I'm without sublty when it's necessary ;)...

8. rickbass

I know it was Jr. We both posted in the "where did you play New Year's Eve" thread. Still, the biggest legend I ever played with was Chuck Berry, (who hasn't?), and that is hardly the level of artistic sophistication of Puente Jr.

Good to know you still don't mind cracking pavement. :D

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Dude, ain't that our job? :D Maybe that's why I refer to my basses at hammers at times, and playing bass at driving nails...

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    rickbass -

Not to hijack your thread, but how do you like the Pandora so far? I just did a search, and I saw where you were thinking about getting one back before the holidays, and you obviously followed through. Good choice? Any regrets? I just ordered one...

11. rickbass

Heavy,

The succinct answer: No, I don't regret it at all.

Why? - It is the only unit I know of, until you get up around the $900+ range, that will offer such an array personal practice capabilities.

As an effects unit, forget it. The sounds are embarrassing.

The phrase trainer is okay, but if you slow down the speed of the 8/16 seconds of recorded track significantly, the sound breaks up.

The rhythm trainer is excellent.

What would be ideal, at least for me, is a unit that isolates the bass track and lets you work with it. In so many songs, the bass gets pushed into the back of the mix, (particularly choruses), and it is hard to pick out from the rest of the instruments.

I still get a mono playback of recorded music. I think I need to get a better cord that goes from the stereo amp to the unit. The one I'm using is one that came with the stereo and I have a 1/4" adapter from Radio Shack to plug into the amp.

Gard, who posted just before you, also has one, and doesn't get the mono signal. So, I need to figure out what he is doing right.

Oh, the manual is confusing as all get out. I figured out most of the unit's applications on my own.

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Rickbass -

Good, I was suffering a bit of "buyer's remorse", even though I researched it and thought about it for months first. (Lack of $ makes you do these things!) It sounds about perfect for me - a endtable practice amp that will work well with either 'phones or powered PC speakers AND it will fit in the case compartment of either of my basses for business travel.

Thanks for the reassurance!

13. rickbass

Heavy- I don't know your situation but what really makes it worth gold to me is when I have a gig out of town. I can sharpen up in the hotel room instead of getting to soundcheck early. By the time I get to wherever the gig is, I'm loose as a goose.

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Hey Heavy, don't fret (or less), IMO, that was the best 200 bux I've spent since that trip to the Mustang Ranch!!! (just kidding about the Mustang Ranch ;) )

I'm right there with Rick, use it all the time before gigs, even brought it into the studio to keep myself warm while we were getting drum sounds (had PLENTY of time, as you might expect). Was great for going over the tunes we were about to record, making sure I had my part cold, while not driving anyone else crazy.

Hey Rick, you get that whole headphone thing straight??? How about getting the stereo in happening????

15. rickbass

Gard- I'll e-mail/message you on the mono output thing. Thanks!