Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pyle Professional Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blown240, Feb 27, 2006.

1. blown240

blown240

Dec 10, 2004
    MY friend can get Pyle Professional speakers at wholesale. Are they any good at all? Or are they Pyles of crap? I am going to be building a bass cab and I thought........

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I think those are car audio speakers aren't they?

It's not impossible to use them for a bass cab...but they'd probably need to be in a sealed cab...and unless you load a ton of them in a cab and throw a ton of watts at them, you'll only hear them if you play bass in a car...or a small, sealed room.

Car audio drivers are VERY inefficient, meaning they don't put out a lot of decibels for their size.

Others, far more experienced than I, will chime in here to help you.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If wholesale is in the $1.50 range then ... still pass on them.

If you're building your own cabinet don't skimp on construction or drivers. That's the whole point of building your own, getting something better than what you can buy. You'd hate to spend many hours putting something together to have it fail to sound good, or fail when playing it.

Start with some good plans that specify recommended drivers to use.

4. blown240

blown240

Dec 10, 2004
    These particular Pyles are for PA use. They have an 18 in a ported box that they call a "stage Subwoofer." Its got a built in crossover and a 100oz. magnet, supposedly it can take 1000 watts. I can get one for just over $100.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    There is no Pyle factory. Top of the line Pyle is roughly equivalent to bottom of the line Eminence, much of it actually is discontinued Eminence drivers relabeled. If you really know what you're doing some are OK. But since you had to ask I don't think you do, no offense, so stick with Eminence.

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004

these? http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?brand=PylePro&cat1=Pro Audio&cat2=PA Cabinets&model=PAST18

For the price they look interesting. But for $100 wholesale - that seem very low.

From the picture, they look like it's a horn cabinet, but it's not - just cosmetically. I don't know that they're made of plywood but the woodgrain showing in the port might be and indicator. Or just an artist renditioning.

If you're looking for Subs - give them a try and let us know. If they don't work out you can probably sell them and not loose any money.

7. Just as a rule of thumb, I never trust a company that uses peak wattage as a selling point and who would put an 18 inch driver in an MDF box, but, for $100 a pop you can't get hurt too bad I suppose.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design