PYPB 44: ...like Tetris with boxes, wires and cables

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jean Baudin, Mar 18, 2014.

1. 20210609_155949.jpg

Finally got around to wiring everything for this setup and it's pretty close to what I got in mind for the new board I'm making but I'm starting to have Moog fever and I kinda want a Murf and either a Cluster Flux or the Phaser.. :help: And I'm still debating getting an Olympic MkIIIS instead of moving my Messenger between this and my other big board. Might save some cash for more Moog's...

2. 20210609_155057.jpg

The 3 other boards are pretty much set. I swap some here and there but they mostly stay like this. The empty spot is for an Iron Pig on the way to try against the Locust Star.

3. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I dig the Pig Iron; have had a couple.

Dr Greenthumb likes this.
  4. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Just reorganized to squeeze in the Manta, which I received in a trade a couple years ago and forgot about until last week. This is every pedal I own.

IMG_5381.jpeg

5. Never tried it, I wanted to around the same time Earthbound changed names and for a while no Iron Pig were available I think and I never got around to trying one until now. I'm hoping to find a Volt Thrower to join the shootout but the closest I got is dibs on one..

Loring and Matt Dean like this.
  6. Matt Dean

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I did shootouts between the Iron Pig and the Volt Thrower… The Iorn Pig was good, but the Volt Thrower won. Hands down.

7. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Still haven't come any further with preparing my new pedal board, but since I posted yesterday I realized a couple of the pedals was placed in the wrong spot compared to how I usually have my chain set up, as in the setup description, so after rearranging a few of the pedals slightly I shot a new picture of how the pedal board is really supposed to be arranged (counting on getting the power supplies and pedals attached and all wired up, finishing the job, tomorrow) :
    Bass-Pedal-Board-100621-Finish-666999-small-orig-sharp.jpg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    O
    oh god, please clean those pedals. a little clorox wipe, just get all that poop off of them before touching them with your hands again :eek:

Chris Y, neuman, TheLopp and 9 others like this.
  9. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    o_O

...Just...

...What the...

:rollno:

And here is my free of charge priceless personal advice to you buddy:

You might discover that refraining from sticking your nose deep into other people's poop will make it much more tolerable.

For everyone really.

;)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  10. Iommian

Iommian Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2019
    The MuRF is definitely worth a try. Beyond the sequencing you can get some of the fattest phase-like tones. Very creative tool.

stambroker likes this.
  11. Yeah it really looks like a lot of fun and possibilities crammed in there. Since I intend to use it only with bass I'm thinking of trying to score a Bass MuRF but those are hard to come by..

Loring likes this.
  12. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    You really go for the "set and forget" philosophy with the glue dontcha? ;)

I like your board quite a bit

NoiseNinja and Loring like this.
  13. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    San Francisco
    why tho

Likely won’t get my hands on a VT. Can you say how they compared?

Loring likes this.
  14. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    THE GARBAGE BOARD?

15. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Actually the effects has thoroughly been picked out for the exact tone I am going for through over a year of experimenting and perfecting it for the musical project that currently has my main focus.

For example I actually tried out much more expensive phasers, but as it turned out the Behringer was the one that did exactly what I wanted it to do, same with the tremolo, I actually do own the original Boss TR-2 tremolo, but the Behringer clone sounds nothing like the original, but to my ears better, at least in this context.

I also preferred the Joyo American Sound as my preamp stage to the combination of the EHX Black Finger, tube driven optical compressor, that costed around 260$ from new, and run it's 2 preamp tubes at proper high 300V voltage and the Art Tube MP Project Series, that together had the function as my tube preamp stage, before I accidentally tried out the Joyo and found I prefered that over those 2.

And the plastic Monarch flanger that misses the 9V battery lid is an old Japaenese made pedal from the 80's that is identical to the now much sought after Arion Stereo Flanger.

I guess you can possibly get an idea of the kind of thought that actually went into this setup if you read the signal path description that is included in the quote of that post you comment on from the previous message I posted.

As for the pedals being a bit dirty, yes, I stomp on them with my shoes on at band rehearsal, they are bound to catch a bit of that dirt, it's not like I stomp around in dog poop before I use my pedals, and I don't plan to use any of them as dinner plates, honestly I don't see the point in cleaning them, as long as it doesn't affect their functionality (plus the way I edited the photo after I shot it to make it look clearer and more crisp also seems to have the side effect of enhancing the dirt and making it look worse than it really is).

They are meant for making music, for which I recommend using your ears and not eyes for the optimal result.

Thanks. :)

As said a lot of thought actually went into this setup, and a lot a trial and error and experimenting, same goes for the pedal settings, they are set to work optimally for the musical project that currently has my main focus, and for which I have been working on the bass parts for over a year now.

A bass/vocals and drums/vocals duo that in lack of a better genre definition can be categorized as something like progressive psychedelic stoner/doom rock.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  16. Jakeman

Jakeman Swamp Thing

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    First full-band rehearsal since quarantine. Here’s what I brought -

pdZpwKh.jpg

VGDeVvz.jpg

17. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
  18. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    My head would explode!

Kijuer, kranahan and Loring like this.
  19. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    But as they say, "To each, his own." Not sure who "they" are, or who "he" is.

Jakeman likes this.
  20. Matt Dean

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    The VT sounded more clear, and the quality of the breakup was more pleasing to my ears. The IP sounded great with some of the diodes, not so much with others. But overall was very good as well.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Loring likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021