1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pyramid amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jgsbass, Dec 10, 2005.

1. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Just found one of these and picked it up for my school. Took it home and damned if it don't sound good. Its a Pyramid Studio Pro and also has GA400 written on it. It also says 400 watts but thats impossible as its a small ( I mean small) combo with a 6 1/2 inch speaker. Ran the line out into a recording and it sounded pretty good. Anyone have any info on this guy. I'll post pics after I get my computer to function properly

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Pyramid amps and a couple other "dj" amp companies are notorious for posting misleading wattage figures. I saw a 800w pyramid selling new for $135, something fishy, so I looked further somewhere else it was revieled that it was tested 800w @ .5% distortion at 1khz. it actually put out about 75w into 8ohms with .08% distortion or something close to that.

if yours sound good to you, cool, but be wary of deals that sound "too good to be true".

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Pyramid does not sell professional quailty amps or speakers.

4. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    good thing I didn't pay a professional price :)

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Right. There's nothing particularly bad about the brand within the price point, just don't expect it to live up to it's name. You'd never find it being used in a 'Studio' by a 'Pro'. Not a recording studio, anyway. Maybe a hairdressing studio. Hey, they say you get what you pay for. You do. But if it does what you want it to that's all that matters.

6. Ive seen that before too, alot of the time they use the power consumption as the labeled wattage, and people think thats the output

7. That's pretty funny, actually... "Its a 400W amp". Didn't say anything about what the 400W refers to... amp output power, or the AC power requirements of the amp...

I've heard that Pyramid amps have mysterious healing and preservative powers though. Really hard to find the 5000 year old Egyptian NOS tubes for them though.

Randy

8. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I misread the 400W next to the model name as an assumption of (stated) wattage. When I looked again, I noticed only a W. Why this little amp needs 2 model numbers on the front is beyond me. I never considered the amp based on wattage, I bought it as a practice amp for bass and keyboard ( my bands "bass" player used it all week and it sounded) and spent well under $100. I will try running it through my Carver/ Goliath IIIjr one day but no rush.

And yes, knowing that its a Pyramid amp, I'm assuming that there's no rust inside :bag: