1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pyramid flat users

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dredmahawkus, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    Ok I have searched and came up with different opinions.....does the E string sound dead on these or is it a defective string? I had these sitting in my drawer for 6 months now put them on. never had a problem on this bass...but it almost sounds like I have a mute in my bridge and like the E string is ringing wrong? not as much sparkle or sustain as the other strings. sounds dead....I havent sent it back because I kinda like it.....the only thing that bothers me is it does not sustain as well as the other strings. and this bass sustains great!

Is this a bad string or are they all like this?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Maybe it's twisted? Or if it's just busted, I've heard Pyramid customer service is top knotch.

3. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    In the saddle it does look like it has a weird like one notch of an unravel....but like I said I kinda like it on my P....I am just wondering if they are all like that. Pyramid is the only strings on youtube theres no reviews! you can not slap them at all it just makes a dead thunk when you do.

4. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    I've gotten a few packs of bad strings from them in the past, but if you contact them and send them the suspected string, they'll most likely send you a whole new pack for free. Great customer service. And I love their bass strings so much that I just can't give up on them. Over the past year or so, no problems at all. I have 2 basses with Pyramid Gold Flats and they sound great! Keep in mind that these strings sound broken-in right out of the pack (unlike most other strings).

5. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    ok I'll do that....since I guess its not supposed to sound dead. I think I have an old labella I can throw on while its gone.

6. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
  7. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    that is where I bought them like 6 months ago....I was having a neck finished and they took the summer off.....so I just got it back and had them put on those strings.

8. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    The more I play these the more I like em so I dont think I am going to send it back even though I did email them! lol
    I know this is a little ass backwards but this is custom mahogany pj with a rosewood top rosewood/ebony neck and a john east retro preamp.....a little much but the strings sound great on it! the more I play it the more attached I get it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aojaUnzddZA

and it seems the more I play the bass the more sustain the E is getting! maybe it needed some break in?

9. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    I love Pyramids. I wouldnt hesitate to contact seller and tell them your E string looks like unravelling. This does happen sometimes so Pyramid may just send you a new E. I've had this happen and the new string arrived, no return or questions asked.
    No kidding. That's about a $15 savings. Thanks - I ordered a set right away.

10. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    they were making my hands all black so I wipped them all down and been playing it all day and they feel even better today then yesterday when brand new.

Everyone was saying how smooth they were and I thought they were kinda grabby...but it was the oil they use to polish them.....now that I wipped it it feels much better and even sounds a bit better...the E is still a little thuddy....but it sounds better then yesterday. I can deal with this...its even sustaining better....maybe there was just too much polish on it....the paper towel I used is black from all the wipping.

11. I tried Pyramid flats a couple of years ago, and found the E-string to be very dull and lacking sustain. Very different from the other strings, so the entire string set was not really balanced, tone-wise. Tried three (!) sets, the E-strings were all like this.

Now, I am a very happy user of TI flats (after getting used to their lower tension).

12. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    ok then its not just me and thats how the strings are. it is like its a different string from a different set! the E is different from the others! the others are brighter...the E even rings lower less volume...now I dont know if I am just getting used to it or its breaking in somewhat?

It is different but its not that bad....I do still wish I bought the TIs.
    these have been sitting in my drawer for 6 months and in the meantime I figured out I liked the looser tension....but didnt want chromes tension....so I guess these are inbetween.
    I am actually starting to like these even though the E is duller...it still thumps!

13. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I didn't notice the E string sounding different on any of the sets I've used. Short and long scale.

They are my favorite flats, by far.

14. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US

These strings are intentionally made that way. That's why I love them! They're very warm, yet very dynamic. I guess it's a love 'em or hate 'em kind of thing. Just like TIs. Currently I have 2 P basses with Pyramid Gold, 1 P bass with TIs, MM Stingray with Sadowsky Black Label. All unique sounding flats, all my favorite. I get A LOT of compliments on my sound when I use them at my gigs.

15. Mitchthebassplayer

Mitchthebassplayer

Jan 7, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Olinto, La Bella, JuleAmps, Epifani
    IME, the E string always felt fatter and more dead out of the pack than the rest of the strings. It bothered me at first, but I eventually was able to incorporate it into my playing and it worked. But eventually I got into TI flats cause I like the tension more and they are all even in size and sound.

16. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I noticed a very much more thuddy E on the Pyramid flats I have used. The other strings over time will come closer to matching the E as they break in.

I have had a set or two of GHS flats where the E was out of balance to the set. They also evened out.

Now, if you think there is a defective E, contact them and they will likely send you a new string.

17. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    I think the E is still a bit thunky but its better after playing for a couple days then it was right out of the pack...it is starting to sustain a bit more....and like bassdoubler said I think I am incorporating it into my sound....and I kinda like it....it really threw me off at first because there was a huge difference between the E and the rest of the strings. it was like I was using 3 chromes and 1 mutted rubbing up against something E string. I even ripped the bottom silk off incase it wasnt laying in the bridge right.

18. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    I have about 8 hours on these strings now and I think I love them! even with the thunk. they feel great to play and sound nice and smooth....cant slap the E string but just a nice smooth finger tone.

19. iiipopes

iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    Thank you for observing that they could get your fingers or hands black. That indicates a lot, if not pure nickel in the wrap, and possibly some palladium. I react to both, so I will stay with stainless steel and chrome flats, like Fender, D'Addario, GHS & Ernie Ball.

This puts the pure nickel, or at least mostly nickel wrap, flats as T-I, Optima and Pyramid.

20. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston