Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pyramid flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nysbob, Mar 7, 2005.

1. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I'm considering trying a set on my 4001...these are allegedly the strings Pauly used for recording. They're a little spendy - anyone have experience with them?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Absolutly love them. I tried quite a few sets of flats from various makes, and when I feel the need to string flats, I turn to pyrmaids. I can't explain it really, but I just like them, they feel and sound a step above everyone elses. Of course, they're priced a step above too...

Ray

3. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Thanks! Any other lovers / haters?

I really prefer rounds for general playing, but this bass is pretty much just for recording...

4. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    I use them on my two Rick's. I've tried quite a few different brands of flat's, and I like the Pyramid's the best. They really record nice. Yea, they cost a lot, but I've had one set on for over two year's, and they still sound great.

George

5. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    If I can get 2 years out of them, then the price doesn't sound too bad. Thanks.

6. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I might be about to embarrass myself, since I am old enough to be a Beatles freak but am not...anyway, I know Macca used the Pyramids on the Hofners, as they were OEM, but I thought he used the Roto 88 nylon tapewounds on the Rics for a lot of the later recordings. Ever considered tapewounds?

7. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    7flat, you were born in 55, your a kid yet :p . Paul said he used the round shiny ones. I've tried tapewounds on my Ricks, and didn't care for them. But I do have them on my P bass.

George

8. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Yeah, same as Bob I see. Just babies. ;)

9. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Dang, you guys are old! Heck, I wasn't born 'til '58. :p I tried a set of Pyramids, and they're certainly unique. The only thing I thought was a bit strange about them is that the E string is so much thuddier than the rest. Also, when they're new, the D and G are almost twangy, which takes a little time to wear off.

10. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Thanks guys - I've never much cared for tapewounds for some reason. Yeah, I'm pretty damn old too. :rolleyes:

They've got the pyramids down in Lexington for a tick over $50 a set - is that as good as it gets? I'm guessing so.

11. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    nysbob, the best price I found is at Pick of the Ricks. $52.95 with free shipping. Like I said I have had one set on for a little over 2 years. My other Rick has had a set on for a little over a year. I play classic rock and blues, they are perfect for my style. Good luck.

George

12. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Pyramids ona Ric is a really serious sound and, especially for recording purposes, it will be well worth $50 to give them a try. there's a great psych-pop from Monteral called the High Dials and their bass player, Rishi, used that combination on their first album Giant booming bass.