1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pyramid flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nysbob, Mar 7, 2005.

1. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I'm considering trying a set on my 4001...these are allegedly the strings Pauly used for recording. They're a little spendy - anyone have experience with them?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Absolutly love them. I tried quite a few sets of flats from various makes, and when I feel the need to string flats, I turn to pyrmaids. I can't explain it really, but I just like them, they feel and sound a step above everyone elses. Of course, they're priced a step above too...

Ray

3. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Thanks! Any other lovers / haters?

I really prefer rounds for general playing, but this bass is pretty much just for recording...

4. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    I use them on my two Rick's. I've tried quite a few different brands of flat's, and I like the Pyramid's the best. They really record nice. Yea, they cost a lot, but I've had one set on for over two year's, and they still sound great.

George

5. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    If I can get 2 years out of them, then the price doesn't sound too bad. Thanks.

6. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I might be about to embarrass myself, since I am old enough to be a Beatles freak but am not...anyway, I know Macca used the Pyramids on the Hofners, as they were OEM, but I thought he used the Roto 88 nylon tapewounds on the Rics for a lot of the later recordings. Ever considered tapewounds?

7. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    7flat, you were born in 55, your a kid yet :p . Paul said he used the round shiny ones. I've tried tapewounds on my Ricks, and didn't care for them. But I do have them on my P bass.

George

8. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Yeah, same as Bob I see. Just babies. ;)

9. Flatwound

Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Dang, you guys are old! Heck, I wasn't born 'til '58. :p I tried a set of Pyramids, and they're certainly unique. The only thing I thought was a bit strange about them is that the E string is so much thuddier than the rest. Also, when they're new, the D and G are almost twangy, which takes a little time to wear off.

10. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Thanks guys - I've never much cared for tapewounds for some reason. Yeah, I'm pretty damn old too. :rolleyes:

They've got the pyramids down in Lexington for a tick over $50 a set - is that as good as it gets? I'm guessing so.

11. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    nysbob, the best price I found is at Pick of the Ricks. $52.95 with free shipping. Like I said I have had one set on for a little over 2 years. My other Rick has had a set on for a little over a year. I play classic rock and blues, they are perfect for my style. Good luck.

George

12. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Pyramids ona Ric is a really serious sound and, especially for recording purposes, it will be well worth $50 to give them a try. there's a great psych-pop from Monteral called the High Dials and their bass player, Rishi, used that combination on their first album Giant booming bass.